distressor or LA2A style comp

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joninc
dead but not forgotten

distressor or LA2A style comp

Post by joninc » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:19 pm

i want to buy a good comp this year. i have pretty decent mics and pres but no really great compressors - mainly just the usual tape op ones: RNC, RNLA, VLA etc... which are decent but not really spectacular.

i am debating a distressor or maybe a LA2A - i wanted to get some input but people who have these over which they prefer, what for and why... ideally i would try both of these out but that is not an option right now so i wil probably have to buy without trying them out. (i have used distressors before).

i want the LA2A for a amazing vocal chain but it seems a lot less versatile than a distressor. so - thoughts???

FYI i have a home studio and do lots of full band projects here - overdubs, mixing - all of that. sometimes we do beds elsewhere - sometimes we mix elsewhere but i often do all of it here so i need something that i can use a lot. i do a lot of indie rock/pop/singer songwriter type stuff.

thanks,

j.
the new rules : there are no rules

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:24 pm

Go with the distressor. You really can't beat the versatility for a first "nice" comp. At the same time, you won't outgrow it.

timbertrout
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by timbertrout » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:37 pm

I've never used an LA2A...But I am quite happy with my distressors. Incredibly useful and varied results for practically all source matl. Vital for individual drum tracks and drum submixes. I use them both at tracking stage and at mixing stage. The DIST functions are great for drums.

The Distressor 10:1 OPTO function - which is supposed to emulate the LA2A , though, as I said, I can't vouch for how much it succesfully emulates the LA2A having never used one - is quite useful and distinctive compared to the other slopes. I use it when I want a signal to be compressed "subtly" and "smoothly"...The other slopes can be quite drastic sounding (cool sometimes, othertimes not).

I am a bit underwhelmed with their performance as 2-mix compressors. But that's hardly a strike against them, as 2-mix compression at "mastering stage" (DIY or Pro Style) is seemingly the MO for many.

seaneldon
pushin' record

Post by seaneldon » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:38 pm

ive got an original la2a and one of the reissues. they're both the bee's knees as far as i'm concerned. i use them on vocals and bass. my distressor is great but doesn't get much use.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:46 pm

do you notice much of a difference between your original LA2A and the reissue? i am looking at ADL too.....

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:50 pm

I have two elopto compressors based on the LA2 design and use them all the time, they just help make things sound good. They have a pretty subtle effect on the sound compared to a Distressor. Much of the time, it's like having a really smart engineer riding the fader for you. When driven hard, it gets a nice semi-squashed sound, smooth on the high end, and nice heavy bass.

If you want a versatile compressor you can use with a lot of sources, and want to use the compressor as an effect, go with the Distressor. It's pretty amazing. If you just want to tame some levels and get that LA2 midrange 3D sound, go with an LA2.

(Edit: Sorry about the cross-posts! That's what I get for taking 15 minutes to write a reply.)
Last edited by Randy on Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

seaneldon
pushin' record

Post by seaneldon » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:50 pm

the main difference is that, despite being in good shape, the old one breaks a lot more. they're pretty similar sonic-wise. one or the other sounds more pleasing depending on the day.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:40 pm

does the distressor do a decent opto comp sound or is it not even close?

timbertrout

Post by timbertrout » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:14 pm

Regarding the LA2A:
Much of the time, it's like having a really smart engineer riding the fader for you.
does the distressor do a decent opto comp sound or is it not even close?
I haven't used an LA2A, but the first quote describes perfectly the result I seem to get from the OPTO setting on the Distressor...
Last edited by timbertrout on Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JB

Post by JB » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:07 pm

joninc wrote:does the distressor do a decent opto comp sound
YES! You can't go wrong with either compressor, but the Distressor is more flexible...if you get it with British mode then that's even better. I have two and I could use atleast 2 more.

Doublehelix
takin' a dinner break

Post by Doublehelix » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:52 am

I am not familiar with a *real* LA2, although I love the UAD-1 version! If I had the cash, I would not hesitate to pick one up for the magic they impart on vocal tracks.

I do have a Distresser however, and love it! As mentioned, this thing is so danged versatile! It is incredible what you can accomplish with one.

Do I still want a real LA2? You bet, but as a first comp (as already mentioned), you really can't go wrong here.
DH

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."
-Yogi Berra

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:32 am

distressor = 2d sound and ability to really distorto in its own way and do lots of cool tricks..does a bunch of things fairly well

la2a = 3d sound much more hi-fi sound..no frills simple beautiful gain control..does one thing really well

the things are completely in different price ranges though..

if you want something that sounds "better" and is more subtle and classic go with the la2a..

its a very philosophical question here..

I'd say if your doing more natural acoustic music the la might be the better choice for you..

I have limited experiece with the LA, I own a distressor..I would love an LA2a

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:49 am

beard_of_bees wrote:distressor = 2d sound and ability to really distorto in its own way and do lots of cool tricks..does a bunch of things fairly well

la2a = 3d sound much more hi-fi sound..no frills simple beautiful gain control..does one thing really well
I like the way you put this. Although the Distressor is more flexible for leveling, a good LA2A will give you great tone and bring things forward. Considering what you already have, I'd go for the LA2A first...

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:38 am

scott anthony wrote:
beard_of_bees wrote:distressor = 2d sound and ability to really distorto in its own way and do lots of cool tricks..does a bunch of things fairly well

I like the way you put this. Although the Distressor is more flexible for leveling, a good LA2A will give you great tone and bring things forward. Considering what you already have, I'd go for the LA2A first...
totally cool to clarify that stuff..I have little experience with the LA but I can notice the differences in resolution and quality of timbre very well..and its really how these things sound to your ear when you have the right references and start really listening to these things..

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:44 am

I don't have experience with the LA2A, but i do have experience with the ADL tube comp and I own a Distressor.

The distressor you can really kill and it sounds like you're killing the compressor. I think where it really shines is when you're NOT killing it, however, like on vocals or even bass or acoustic guitar. It has the ability to keep things clean and even.

The ADL is somewhat invisible. It definitely has a "sound" that's really amazing, and the line amps on the thing are HUGE, but i wouldn't use it for like squashing a room because it just distorts in a weird way. Really fantastic when you're not killing it...

ultimately they're two totally separate animals that in my mind could never emulate each other. In terms of versatility, i'd go with the distressor. But in terms of coolness value or not having something that EVERYONE has/having a non-traditional "first good compressor", i'd go for something like the LA2A or the ADL or Red Stripe equivalent.