I'm in Love!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

NU-TRA
takin' a dinner break

I'm in Love!

Post by NU-TRA » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:17 pm

I just tried out a few of tom and mic combos through an api 312.

I know a lot of you don't care for tom micing but it's the first time I've every put two mics on a tom. These are the mics i used

modded oktava Mk012 cardiod condenser
421 the newer one cardiod dynamic
Beyer 201 hyper dynamic
Audio Technica ATM 63he hyper dynamic

first test- 421 on top and oktava on the bottom
second- was the reverse oktava on top 421 on the bottom
third-beyer on top oktava on the bottom
fourth- ATM63 on top oktava on bottom
fifth- Oktave on top and bottom

So the first combo was my fave The 421 on top Oktava on the bottom was dope! This combo is nice since I'm getting that great 421 punch and attack and some nice fatness from the oktava underneath.

the second sucked ass! Oktava on top and 421 on the bottom. This combo sounded weird. The top sustained more than the bottom. It did not sound natural to me.

The third- Beyer 201 on top and Oktava bottom was nice and smooth but didn't have the same punch i was hoping for since there is less drum bleed from these mics being hyper.

The fourth- Was pretty good ATM63he on top and Oktava bottom. That ATM3he was close to the 421 but it was more boxy but it had less bleed as well...

The fifth- Oktava on top and bottom was cool but too much tone not enough punch. All subjective of course.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I am bored! If this helps anyone in anyway like you all have helped me then great! Now I need to expand my interface hehe!

Signing off

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:23 pm

For the combos that you didn't like, did you try moving the mics to make sure you weren't hearing phase problems?

NU-TRA
takin' a dinner break

Post by NU-TRA » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:31 pm

I checked for phase on each set up and I also had the whole kit miced so i cane hear every in combination.

V