Fake Oktava MK-319 pics

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MichaelJoly

Fake Oktava MK-319 pics

Post by MichaelJoly » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:59 am

I just noticed an external difference between a Russian Oktava MK-319 and its twin from the Peoples Republic of China.

The etching and detail sharpness is better on the Russian mic when compared to the copy. Two external and one internal photo here:

http://www.oktavamod.com/fake319.html

In other fake Oktava news...

I just had a client tell me his China-built MK-319 was purchased second-hand in December 2003 from someone who had owned it for a while. This means his mic had to have been made in China well before the distributorship was pulled from the McKay brothers in October of 2004.

I'm trying to establish a pre/post China MK-319 date. I'd be interested in hearing from folks who have suspect Oktava MK-319 mics. When were they first purchased? December 2003 is the earliest I've heard of but maybe there are earlier dates. But original Russian-built inventory could still have been on the shelves at Guitar Center at the same time. Confusing, huh?

It makes me think...

...could it be that many Oktava MK-319 users have never really had a chance to hear what these mics are supposed to sound like in all their glory?
Last edited by MichaelJoly on Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hyde maintenance
gettin' sounds

Post by hyde maintenance » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:12 pm

Hmmm. I guess Jamicon caps are a bad sign too.

MichaelJoly

Post by MichaelJoly » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:45 pm

Interesting thought. But perhaps not a problem - the Jamicon caps are Taiwanese.

In my mind a mic manufacturer in the PRC would probably have easier access to components from the PRC (Chang) than from Taiwan. (Jamicon)

I just checked a 2001 vintage MK-219 that came with Russian paperwork. It has a combination of the silver "no name" caps with cyrillic-style writing, a couple of Jamicons and a couple of Xenia caps which are made in Ranchi, India. I've been seeing similar blends of electrolytic caps in these for years.

It was the sudden appearance of mics with all Chang electrolytic caps that caught my attention.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:01 pm

i am the owner of a chinese 319. it has the non-recessed etching and lacks the cyrillic "r" on the serial number. so when i first heard about it's origin, I was a little dissapointed. But then it occured to me that some people (and my initial reaction) are making too big a deal out of it. I mean, did learning that the mic was made in china suddenly change how it sounds? No. Does it knowing it was a cheaper model retroactively make the recordings I used it on suck? Again, no. It is what it is. I know how it sounds and how to get the most out of it in terms of mic placement, eq, etc. There's nothing "fake" about it from my point of view. and I don't own a Russian made 319. Like i said, it is what it is. and for what I paid for it, the quality is fine IMHO.

but sure, if you're going out and purchasing one then it's good to be aware of the differences between the ruskie/chink models. i don't mean to imply that it's bad to make the distinction between the two varieties.

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:38 pm

So do 219s from an earlier time period sound better than later ones?

I have one from '98 but I rarely ever use it since I've gotten better things.

MichaelJoly

Post by MichaelJoly » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:42 pm

I've found the MK-219 to be quite consistent - from the chrome-plated domestic Russian models that ceased production in '89 all the way through the variously dated export production runs.

Some small variations in capsule proximity effect maybe, a bit higher or lower frequency peak but nothing like the quality control variations that used to be spotted in the '012 mics.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:41 pm

well fuck i have a Chinese one. I only paid $100 for a pair so with that in mind they sound amazing for the price.

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:21 pm

Goddammit, me too! I paid my friend $150 for both the mic and a newish queen size bed when he was moving. I guess that's still a pretty good deal. Personally, I was always disappointed with this mic. It does add a unique color to the ol' locker and it's nice on acoustic and electric guitars sometimes, but I always felt like it should be a little more exciting. I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure my friend bought this towards the middle of 2003. Not sure if it was through GC or ebay. Anyway, now I'm excited to hear a real 319, so it's not so bad...

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:43 pm

Well I spoke too soon... I just opened up my 319 and it's got Xenia and silver surplus-looking caps. So I guess I have an original, i's got an N in the SN too. But the logo looks a lot more like a silk-screen than an engraving. I tried every conceivable angle of light and I still couldn't see a shadow in the lettering like in the pic of the engraved russian logo. Lucky me I guess. I took out the screening and treble resonators while I was in there so I'll see if that opens up it up any for me.
:oops:

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:08 pm

Just wanted to add a little more confusion and some more info for Michael's research.
The MK-319 that I have that was purchased new from Guitar Center in December of 2002 ($99) has 3 Hitano caps in it. The other parts as well as something that appears to be a capacitor (silver, pillbox styled thing, no name) all don't have a name and in some cases have no labeling whatsoever.
This was purchased by myself, new, in December of 2002 (2 days before Christmas to be exact). Has the A.S.M. stamp/engraving on the back and the Oktava symbol as well as the MK-319 appear to be stamped, or engraved rather than screen printed. Can't really see a relief, but can see the metal and when I run my finger across it, it feels like the black finish is raised more than the metal where the writing was either stamped, or, in my opinion, etched.
The serial number, which is stamped into the base appears to read N05015. Also noticed that along with the numbers on the top of the transformer, there is a "C" marked with pencil (?) on the backside of it.

Also curious to know if there is a safe way to clean the capsule. This is the first time I have opened this mic (mod'ed my 219 a while ago) and noticed that the capsule has some light dust and what appears to be maybe a little dried moisture (spit?) or some other kind of tarnishing. I've only ever used a pop filter when recording vocals using it and always store it in the case... could this crud on the capsule be from the factory?

Just wanted to add my findings

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:48 pm

has anyone purchased oktava's from here:

http://www.oktavausa.com/

... it says "we carry only genuine russian made oktava microphones."

i was thinking about getting the matched pair of MK-012's from there. just wondering if anyone has purchased from here and gotten the 'real deal' or the chinese version.

seems pretty legite, but who knows.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

MichaelJoly

Post by MichaelJoly » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:02 pm

nlmd311 wrote: Also curious to know if there is a safe way to clean the capsule. This is the first time I have opened this mic (mod'ed my 219 a while ago) and noticed that the capsule has some light dust and what appears to be maybe a little dried moisture (spit?) or some other kind of tarnishing.

-Darrill

Very good capsule cleaning instructions posted to rec.audio.pro in '95 by David Josephson can be found here: http://www.josephson.com/clean.txt

Technique involves a camel hair brush, distilled water, isopropyl alcohol, long thread cotton gauze and a light touch ;)

overnight
audio school graduate

Post by overnight » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:25 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:has anyone purchased oktava's from here:

i was thinking about getting the matched pair of MK-012's from there. just wondering if anyone has purchased from here and gotten the 'real deal' or the chinese version.

Yes, I've known people to get mics from them and they are very good with thier own quality control. You can be sure that what ever mics you get from them are Russian and the cream of the crop. But they are expensive....

Also, for those that have the mics, either Chinese or Russian, oktavamod.com is a great resource. That guy modded a couple of 219's of a friend of mine and they went from being $75 mics to $750 mics over night. Very highly recommended. (and no, I don't work for either company)
Don't let yourself be blinded by the beauty of the tools to create beauty. Hold out for the real thing.

47.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

overnight
audio school graduate

Post by overnight » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:28 pm

overnight wrote:
Recycled_Brains wrote:has anyone purchased oktava's from here:

Yes, I've known people to get mics from them and they are very good with thier own quality control. You can be sure that what ever mics you get from them are Russian and the cream of the crop. But they are expensive....

Also, for those that have the mics, either Chinese or Russian, oktavamod.com is a great resource. That guy modded a couple of 219's of a friend of mine and they went from being $75 mics to $750 mics over night. Very highly recommended. (and no, I don't work for either company)
WOoOoOoPS!!!! I thought you listed oktava.com.... The Sound Room. That's the site I know of and comes highly recommended. I don't know oktavausa.com. Sorry for the mixup.
Don't let yourself be blinded by the beauty of the tools to create beauty. Hold out for the real thing.

47.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:41 pm

speaking of oktava mods:

michael, do you just upgrade the parts in the 219 or do you fudge with the circuit... i've done pretty much all of the physical mods already, and i still think that guys needs a hair of work.