Used Console Shopping Torture

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

stereopathetic_banjo
steve albini likes it

Used Console Shopping Torture

Post by stereopathetic_banjo » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:21 am

well... here goes. In the next 3-4 weeks hopefully, i'll be in the market for a used older analog board. I've pretty much set my mind on a soundtracs 24-32 channel board, mainly due to all i've read and the price at which these seem available- I'm looking to spend 1- $1500 on it, which seems feasible. My question is that i've stumbled upon a Tascam M600 board-24 channel for around $1,800. I read up as much as i could and it seems they are kinda the flagship of that era tascam. simple looking layout, hopefully straightfoward signal path- looks like something i'd dig. anyways, what are your opinions on these? I did a search here and came up on several mentions, but not many actual comments on this model. anything at all would help- I'm still thinking the soundtracs, but if this is worthy, i'm not against changing my mind. thanks in advance for your help!
-travis

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:20 am

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:17 am

I 've never heard the M600 but I've heard most of the other Tascam consoles. I actually own the M-2600mkII. IMHO....the M700 was the "flag-ship" of the Tascam analog consoles! The M-2600's, M-5000 has a more "modern" sound than the older consoles ( upgraded signal path, faster op-amps, bigger power supply, etc.) But .....the older Tascams look more "PRO" than the ergonomic design of the newer Tascams!.... :lol: ..(YMMV)

uscheese
audio school

Post by uscheese » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:51 am

DO NOT waste money on a tascam console...they are all noisey and really don't sound very good...if you can get a soundtracs in that price range do it...they have a very good sound for the price and the EQ is much more useable...

stereopathetic_banjo
steve albini likes it

Post by stereopathetic_banjo » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:23 pm

Yeah, though i do dig the vibe of that era tascam, if i could find the soundtracs that i'm looking for at the time i have the funds, all will be well. What i want most right now is a non- fixer upper- later on down the road, while i have whatever i get now, i may take on the task of getting a nicer modular console and modding it/sooping it up, but as of now, while i'm remodelling my live space and building a control room, i really just want to get back to recording and this console is the final link. I need some faders, yo! Thanks for your replies, i appreciate it- any other advice is more than welcome!
-travis

beauarts
alignin' 24-trk

Post by beauarts » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:00 pm

I've been happy with my soundcraft delta and for the most part, very little problems.

mikelevitt
audio school graduate

Re: Used Console Shopping Torture

Post by mikelevitt » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:32 pm

stereopathetic_banjo wrote:well... here goes. In the next 3-4 weeks hopefully, i'll be in the market for a used older analog board. I've pretty much set my mind on a soundtracs 24-32 channel board, mainly due to all i've read and the price at which these seem available- I'm looking to spend 1- $1500 on it, which seems feasible. My question is that i've stumbled upon a Tascam M600 board-24 channel for around $1,800. I read up as much as i could and it seems they are kinda the flagship of that era tascam. simple looking layout, hopefully straightfoward signal path- looks like something i'd dig. anyways, what are your opinions on these? I did a search here and came up on several mentions, but not many actual comments on this model. anything at all would help- I'm still thinking the soundtracs, but if this is worthy, i'm not against changing my mind. thanks in advance for your help!
-travis
Hey Travis,

Those tascams look cool but sound pretty weak IMO. Check out the A&H GL2400 series - about 2G, new. Nice pres and EQ, channel outs, tons of routing and send options, and tons of headroom in the mix buss. Sounds really great.

Unless you need a project, I would stay away from an old console for now, and wait until you have 5G or so and can pop for something really special like an old MCI - which will be worth the maintenance effort you have to put in. The 1-2G area is tough, and full of stuff that was not really that great when it was new, like Mackie 8 buss, soundtracs, soundcraft 200, etc.

I would go for something modern and functional, and get some recording done!

Mike

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:04 am

I have a Topaz and really like it. I first heard about it here on the board and went with it. They seem to keep gaining in popularity, they don't look or "feel" as cool as a modular board but they work great and are pretty flexible, I really like the facct that you can merge the inline monitors with the mian mix to get 48 channels, haven't had to use quite that many but they're there when you need them, and yes the EQ is pretty good, I think the low is especially good, just a little nudge and it does a lot.

Eddie
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

stereopathetic_banjo
steve albini likes it

Post by stereopathetic_banjo » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:54 pm

As the days pass, more and more options emerge... After years of reading the very questions i'm now asking, it takes on a new feel when it's my turn to shop. In reality, i am not in any huge hurry- moreso, i really just don't want to miss out on something and then find it near impossible to track down another. I've still gotta finish my "control room" before i'd even be able to hook my gear back up, so it'll be a bit. I checked out the A&H and it did look alot more impressive than i figured- i kinda blew off them due to all i thought they made aside from the mixwizard, was live consoles, but the gl stuff looks nice, esp for 2k new. I do wish it had a meterbridge, tho. I've asked a few people on here their opinions on the soundtracs stuff, and it still is on the forefront of my options, should i find a good example of one with a meter bridge. So anyway, keep the thoughts and options coming! This is kinda simultaneously fun and nerve racking- i can't wait till it all comes together!
-travis

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:27 pm

Yeah, be patient. I waited quite a while for a deal and was really happy with it. I only paid $500 for mine and it was a fluke, i just happened to have done a search for one in the Recycler (classified) the samme day it went up so I jumped on it. i wasn't even really looking at the time.

Eddie
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson