Gear value

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

antilog
george martin

Gear value

Post by antilog » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:27 pm

Does anyone know the name of the site that listed trends in the value of music gear? I can picture it, the info in tabular form, but cannot remember the name of the site...

Thanks
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:00 pm

Sounds like www.prepal.com

Hope that's it.

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:01 pm

Oh, and if it is, I've found that alot of the prices are either seriously outdated, or just off.
Still a great resource. And definitely helps to get you "in the ballpark".

-Darrill

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:06 pm

Yup, that's the one I was thinking of, thanks. I am going to try to use it for insurance.
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:14 pm

Oh. Sounds like a good idea. Be sure to "err on the side of caution" and over-estimate a little rather than be under insured. That would suck.
Do you have any of the original receipts? You are proabably going with a different type, but the renters insurance I just got, along with a little added coverage would entitle me to the full original price so long as I could prove I had documentation of the purchase. I will have to look into what that is and the full extent of it. Was only another $2 a month or something stupid and as I keep EVERYTHING, I assumed it couldn't hurt even if it turned out to be a lie.
Just an idea.

-Darrill

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:20 pm

nlmd311 wrote:Oh. Sounds like a good idea. Be sure to "err on the side of caution" and over-estimate a little rather than be under insured. That would suck.
Do you have any of the original receipts? You are proabably going with a different type, but the renters insurance I just got, along with a little added coverage would entitle me to the full original price so long as I could prove I had documentation of the purchase. I will have to look into what that is and the full extent of it. Was only another $2 a month or something stupid and as I keep EVERYTHING, I assumed it couldn't hurt even if it turned out to be a lie.
Just an idea.

-Darrill
Too late, gear already stolen....I am now having to prove I owned it, and how much it is worth.

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:24 pm

:oops:
Oh. Sorry. Really sorry.
all the best with that. Hope they give you what it is worth.

-Darrill

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:40 pm

one of the lessons learned:
-save receipts
-take photos
-save serial numbers

prepal helped a little, the stuff I had was worth a lot more to me than the value PrePal showed...

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:49 pm

Yeah. I also try to mark the things I am sure I am not reselling (atleast any time soon) in some way so that I could identify them if ever needed to. I lived in Miami, Florida all my life up until about 6 months ago. Everytime a hurricane would threaten I would update my "inventory" lists and take pictures if possible. I can't even remember the amount of times unhooked everything, covered it up and moved it into a "safe room" only to have to put everything back the next day. Seemed like I was doing that once a week or so in 2004, I think it was. I got lucky, and still have to this point and haven't lost anything due to hurricane or theft. When I moved up here there seemed to be an apartment fire every few weeks (and since the apartment we are living in hasn't really been updated since the 60's...) I decided regardless of whether I could afford it or not, I needed insurance.
Sorry to hear that, about the prices. Would you be able to use the current eBay prices. You can turn up completed items over the past month and average the price. That might help your case a little more than the prepal way.

-Darrill