Treatment for Pitched Ceiling

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

flapmaggot
takin' a dinner break

Treatment for Pitched Ceiling

Post by flapmaggot » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:37 pm

Y'all

My garage is 20X23 sq ft with a pitched ceiling. I am planning to build a 8x11 sound room in the corner while the rest of the garage will be for tracking. I want to keep the ceiling pitched and hang clouds and move baffles where needed. My concern isn't necessarily sound leakage going out, but rather not making it sound too crappy, especially for drums and amps - I'll be recording pop/acoustic/rock stuff and would like some ambience.

My question is this, after I stuff the ceiling framing with R-30(19), is there a lighter, cheaper material to cover the ceiling/insulation other than drywall? I don't want to leave the insulation exposed nor do I want to drop the ceiling.
I am pretty much a non-factor when it comes to construction and have a very limitied budget after the control room and electrical are done. But if their is a material that would be easy to work with.........

Thanks for any suggestions.

Chuck

http://droolbrothers.com
Last edited by flapmaggot on Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldstar
takin' a dinner break

Post by goldstar » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:22 am

Chuck

Be sure to leave some airspace between the bottom of the roof sheathing and your insulation, otherwise the heat buildup will seriously sorten the life of your shingles. They make styrofoam baffles you can staple up to do this.

There isn't much cheaper material to use than drywall, though it'd be a bitch to fit around roof trusses, if your roof is built that way. Not sure what else to suggest, though. Good luck.

Frank

flapmaggot
takin' a dinner break

Post by flapmaggot » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:12 pm

Frank - thanks for the tip on the insulation - just got a new roof too.

Chuck

http://droolbrothers.com