Advice on buying preamps / compressors for Tascam 2488

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ok_jones
audio school

Advice on buying preamps / compressors for Tascam 2488

Post by ok_jones » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:01 pm

Hello,
I am seeking advice on whether or not it will be worthwhile to purchase preamps/compressors for use with a Tascam 2488 digital Portastudio. I've heard that your sound is only as good as the "weakest link in the chain" and I'm wondering if that applies here. Here are the specs on the 2488 inputs:

Eight inputs: 4 XLR with phantom power double as 1/4" mic/line inputs, plus four dedicated 1/4" mic/line inputs

I've heard good things from a fellow Lawrence band (Minus Story) about the FMR Really Nice Compressor / Really Nice Preamp so that's probably the route I would take. But I want to make sure I'm not wasting my money...

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:12 pm

the sound is only as good as the engineer way before the weakest link in the chain..

I've never really heard the two pieces your asking about..but I think generally a preamp that sounds good will be a big improvement in sound quality into a device like that..its definitely true with my 4 track cassette..sounds great with my api preamps..sounds pretty muddy and shite with the built in ones..but sometimes i use those built in ones when I want muddy and shite..its like a weird thing.

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:20 pm

Yeah, I think you will hear an improvement over the stock 2488 pres. Especially, considering that even a modest pre as the RNP,($500.00-ish) cost about 1/2 the price of the whole Tascam unit! ($1,000.00-ish) Just as long as you by-pass the Tascam's pres and use it's inserts or line in. I would say, GO FOR IT...!( if you have the budget) (IMHO)..... :wink:

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:32 pm

I get very nice results using a 2488 for tracking with an ART MPA Gold and an Electro Harmonix 12AY7 as my preamps. The 2488 preamps are average at best.

The trick is to avoid inadvertently adding the 2488 preamps into the chain, which would happen automatically if you were to use an XLR connection into one of those first four 2488 inputs. You need a balanced TRS cable for sure so you can go into those 1/4" 2488 inputs.

Use a better preamp than the 2488 pres and you will notice a difference for sure, especially when the difference begins to accumulate across several tracks.

I have not heard the RNP.

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:01 pm

I've been doing some preamp research lately, and I came across a great little tidbit. I don't remember it word for word, but basically the idea is that you have this nice $1000 mixer right... Imagine what it would cost if the pre on each channel was a $300 one. You're looking at $2400 just for the pres on an 8 channel mixer. They have to cut the cost somewhere.