building guitar wall mounts ?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Ivon
steve albini likes it

building guitar wall mounts ?

Post by Ivon » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:36 pm

I want to mount my guitars and bass to the wall, in order to save space. Now, I could purchase some wall mount brackets for about $10 a pop. But, being a DIY person, I'm wondering if I couldn't just walk into a hardware store and find some materials to make my own guitar wall mounts. Anyone have experience with this? And if so, what materials do I need?

Thanks,
Ivon

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:15 pm

You know those plastic coated hooks that have a huge wood screw on the end, and all you do is screw it into a beam in your garage and hang your bike from it? They make similar things for rakes and shovels, and you screw them into a wall stud and hang the garden implement from it.

I have a couple of those for hanging my electric guitars. They work quite well. Got them from the hardware store down the street from me. They were about $3 for a pair.

Make sure you get them right in the middle of the wall stud and have it so it angles up a little, that way the guitar won't slip out, or the hook won't crack the beam and fall out.

Actually, I have 3 of the the $10 wall mounts and I put the "good" guitars on those. I hesitate putting my SG or Tele on one of the shovel hooks. They are sturdy and all, but the store-bought ones seem a bit stronger. Peace of mind. Seems silly to save $7 on something that will be holding a guitar that cost hundreds or thousands.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:04 pm

Me too, Randy. Those screw in tool hooks work great. WIth the ones I got the covering started to tear after repeated use, so I wrapped them with black cloth tape to reinforce them.

Also, as for the wide screw end cracking the studs, I pre drill the hole with a slightly smaller circumference drill bit and the hooks twist in nice and snug.

M

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:44 pm

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I'll check it out next time I'm at Home Cheapo.

cwileyriser
pushin' record

Post by cwileyriser » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:49 pm

I've used those too, but instead of screwing that big screw into the wall/stud, I screwed the hook into a block made from some scrap 1x3, then mounted the block on the wall with 3" drywall screws at the top and bottom of the block. More secure, won't split the stud, doesn't mess up the drywall as bad, and gives you more depth for the body of the guitar, like for an acoustic guitar, etc. Only problem is that the hooks I found don't seem to work for Tele headstocks (not many wall hanging hooks would work for those I guess). I'm building a floor rack for my guitars now out of 2x4's.