BBC designed compressors and EQs. Any sleepers out there?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

linus
re-cappin' neve

BBC designed compressors and EQs. Any sleepers out there?

Post by linus » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:09 pm

I know that several companies made gear either for the BBC or based on BBC designs. I have a compressor and EQ lunchbox made by glennsound that is labeled "BBC Code AM 22/13/106" I got it from a guy in London and it is a pair of cool compressors and 6 channels of EQ (three bands each, 3 EQ points on the highs, 2 each on the mids, and lows). Made for broadcast and sounds great.

Joel has one of the same boxes and sings it's praise. I recently started thinking about these designs and wondered if anyone had info about the different BBC related designs. Which ones are celebrated? Are there any sleepers out there? (Shhh... Just between us...)

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:04 pm

Excello in Williamsburg Brooklyn where I've done a little bit of recording at has a Calrec board that was originally owned by the BBC. The pre's on it sound really really nice. I've never used the comp or eq's on it - but speaking with one of the staff engineers there he said while the eq was a little grainy, the comps were really nice and versatile. Seems like Vintage King usually has a number of Calrec modules available - and can sell them to you already racked too - http://www.vintageking.com

Best regards,
Steve Berson

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:20 pm

The audix 35102 are really great..

pineyb
alignin' 24-trk

Post by pineyb » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:55 pm

I have a Calrec MK II a very cool modular console. 24 input in 3 buckets plus a center section and routing module. All discreet class A.... pres are great and I like the EQ....it is different than the newer ones.

fremitus
pushin' record

Post by fremitus » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:47 am

I have 2 of the Calrec CL1204 comps (blue faced) and two of the PQ145 mic pre/eq's. Really great stuff, the comps rock but can be noisy if you're really using them for gain. The PQ145's might just be my favorite pre's in the studio. i use them with a royer 121 on rock guitars almost religiously. the eq is perfect for simple things, but i rarely dig into the eq very deeply as it's a bit limited.

so there's some more calrec love.