Dear Tapeop: Mobile or Not

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Dear Tapeop: Mobile or Not

Post by workshed » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:08 am

This is a long rant, so be forewarned.

So my band has been making some plans for recording an album. Granted it's a long way off, but the conversation was started by one of the other band members (who has a community college studio recording degree, but does not work in that field) stating to me that we are going to record at his retail clothing store because it has lots of room and places for isolation and lots of glass windows. There was no discussion, it was just stated.

Okay.

But the one big problem with this plan is that I'd have to uproot my entire home studio (which includes the workstation for my design business and the associated client files), bring it to his store, set it up, figure out a good monitoring environment, then get sounds, then record only in the evenings after the store is closed, then take everything down and hide it in the store so they can do business during the day, with all my gear sitting there ripe for the picking.

For starters, while I did start out trying to make my setup mobile, it really is not so anymore. I have accumulated a lot of useful stuff and there's no way I want to pack it all up and move it to a location where I can't be there to keep an eye on it 24/7.

While I think a big part of the problem is that they don't want to drive to my house (30-45 minutes from their homes), they are proposing it as a "better sounding recording" sort of situation due to his high ceilings and glass. I tend to think "unpredictable" might be more appropriate a term. I have a fairly large house, with lots of rooms for isolation, high/vaulted ceilings, some wood floors, etc. So I don't buy it -- my place has been used for recording, I know the spaces that sound best and we'd have a hell of a lot more time to get things done (all day and night versus a few hours during the night).

So my quandary is that I don't want to sound territorial about this and I don't want it to be a political thing. I am trying to be logical and it really makes the most sense to record in the place that I know will be most efficient in terms of getting the most done. I'd almost rather rent a studio in town with nice gear and work that way than to move everything to an unknown space and waste time setting it all up.

Am I being a bitch, or is there sound logic in my argument? Or would a space like he is describing really benefit the recording that much? I have to convince 4 other guys that keeping things at my place is the best way to go, but I am troubled by their enthusiasm to record in a space because it's downtown and they think it will be "cool."

Oh, and background here... we're all in our early-to-mid 30s and have been friends/bandmates for many, many years, so it's not like I'm worried about sullying any relationships with a disagreement like this. We will work it out either way, I'm just stymied by the lack of forethought and need a reality check.

Any advice?

Thanks,

-Bret

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:10 am

I think you should pack up all the instruments, drive yourselves a few hours east and record at your friendly state university. If you work it well you could setup a gig or two out here to help make some money along the way while saving you the 'my idea vs. your idea' problem.

But setting that option aside, I'd probably say you are right about staying at your place, but you may not be able to convince the band. If they have stars in their eyes about a short drive, a big space and a cool 'idea' or 'gimmick' for the project then you're fighting an uphill battle.
If you're going to fight it, you're going to end up having to just go there to find out if there are problems. I expect a clothing store to have problems with noise from ventilation, computer systems, etc. Is the place in a shopping mall? If so you probably couldn't even stay over night. Is there an overnight cleaning crew in that store or another one above or next to the clothing store. How much clothing would need to be moved? Can the gear be secured during the day?
You already know most all of those objections, but I think you'll need to actually show up at the place and test them all one at a time and present them with facts in order to change their minds. But stay open yourself, because it might be a really great place to record.

-Jeremy

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:00 am

You didn't say what your full setup is, but it sounds like you have a digital setup (last I checked, 2" tape does not efficiently store design client business files).

Here's a King Solomon solution:

Maybe you can get (rent or buy) a remote rig to get tracks, but mix at your home studio.

This is definitely a case where a standalone recorder like the HD24, MX2424, Radar, etc. could earn its bread. Plus, you would have it for future remote gigs.

But maybe the more important issue here is the store itself. Is it a cool sounding space? If you're not into the acoustics, then don't bother. If it is, you'll be motivated to go more than halfway on this gig.

Read my signature for the answer :wink:

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:46 am

Go to the store and listen. If the HVAC is blasting and there's no way to silence it, issue resolved.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:33 am

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I have kind of cooled off since I started this thread and have decided that, A) This recording is a long way off, so there is plenty of time for things to change and decisions to be made; and B) I really should check out the shop before I shut the idea down completely. For those of you in Portland, it's the clothing store portion of Johnny Sole, downtown. I have not been there yet, but our bass player was there this weekend and says it's really nice.

Kayagum, my rig is digital. Like I said, it's somewhat mobile. I have all of my rack gear packed into a single 12/16 space mobile rack case, albeit a big one. Mostly it's packing up all the computer gear, mics, cables, noisemakers, connectors, etc. that bugs me. I think I was kind of OCD panicking about that a little, but ultimately, it's probably not as big a deal as I originally felt it was. Who knows, maybe I can afford a new laptop by then, which would simplify things a bit.

Professor, I wish we could drive out there and record in your facility! Although, by the end you would never want to talk to me again. I have a feeling we're a lot noisier and angrier and more chaotic than most music you end up recording there, and I am most likely the kind of drummer everyone complains about having to record (inconsistent levels, rides cymbals too much/hard, etc.). Are you in Spokane, or farther east? It just occurred to me that I don't know *which* college you are at! My Eastern Washington geography is not so good.

Professor

Post by Professor » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:10 pm

Well I don't hijack this into a commercial for my place - but I'll say that all kinds of music are welcome, and there's more info about it here. I've been trying to convince my cousin to drive his metal band out from NJ for a while now. Actually it kills me to be running a place like this and not be able to help out friends, family and other cool bands just because of location.

As for the store, well I'd be a little skeptical of a store in downtown Portland with lots of big windows facing out onto the city streets. I mean, I understand you're not making a solo violin CD, so traffic rumble wouldn't be as much of a concern, but the random shit like sirens and car horns and just general city sound. Does he know if there is an overnight cleaning crew? has he checked with the boss to see if this would even be allowed yet?
I'd say once those basics are covered, then go check the place out and have an open mind about it. could be the greatest thing ever.

-Jeremy

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:01 pm

Professor wrote:Well I don't hijack this into a commercial for my place - but I'll say that all kinds of music are welcome, and there's more info about it here. I've been trying to convince my cousin to drive his metal band out from NJ for a while now. Actually it kills me to be running a place like this and not be able to help out friends, family and other cool bands just because of location.
I see what you mean, that is a nice place! Does WSU offer a audio engineering degree of any kind, or is the studio there more for the use of the college? I mentioned recording there to our bass player and he was kind of excited by the idea. Ha!
Professor wrote: As for the store, well I'd be a little skeptical of a store in downtown Portland with lots of big windows facing out onto the city streets. I mean, I understand you're not making a solo violin CD, so traffic rumble wouldn't be as much of a concern, but the random shit like sirens and car horns and just general city sound. Does he know if there is an overnight cleaning crew? has he checked with the boss to see if this would even be allowed yet?
I'd say once those basics are covered, then go check the place out and have an open mind about it. could be the greatest thing ever.

-Jeremy
Well, he is actually the boss, or the part owner of the clothing store portion. His fiance owns the shoe portion with her ex. No idea about the cleaning crew, so I will have to ask, but since he's part owner, I'm sure he could tell them not to come for a few nights. Who cares, though? We're recording in Pullman now! ;-)