Basic things I can do to improve sound

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JoshuaHorn133
audio school

Basic things I can do to improve sound

Post by JoshuaHorn133 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:06 pm

Hi everyone! Im Josh!

I have had a subscription to tapeop for a while now, was on the forums awhile back, and now here I am again!

My question for you guys is,

Ive got my small studio setup in my bedroom. Its not a tiny bedroom but it isent huge. On either sides of the room are windows, covered by blinds. On one end of the room is a chair with a mic in front of it. and several instruments to the left of it. In the center of the room is a desk with a 10 channel mixer on it along with a 2 deck professional tape recorder and a DVD-R recorder. On a smaller wheeled table is a very large 8 channel mixer from the 70's tied into the 10 channel mixer. there is my laptop on a desk in the right corner where also the bed resides.

My question (finally) is, what can I do to improve sound in here, if any? (Does covering the windows help at all?) (dont ask where I heard that)

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:34 pm

How does your room sound? Are there any echoes? I'd imagine there are and getting the room to sound good is the first thing I'd look at. Learn about acoustics, what makes a room sound good or bad. Heres a link from Ethan Winer with lots of great info.
my band: Mission 5

myfipie
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: Basic things I can do to improve sound

Post by myfipie » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:55 am

JoshuaHorn133 wrote:Hi everyone! Im Josh!

I have had a subscription to tapeop for a while now, was on the forums awhile back, and now here I am again!

My question for you guys is,

Ive got my small studio setup in my bedroom. Its not a tiny bedroom but it isent huge. On either sides of the room are windows, covered by blinds. On one end of the room is a chair with a mic in front of it. and several instruments to the left of it. In the center of the room is a desk with a 10 channel mixer on it along with a 2 deck professional tape recorder and a DVD-R recorder. On a smaller wheeled table is a very large 8 channel mixer from the 70's tied into the 10 channel mixer. there is my laptop on a desk in the right corner where also the bed resides.

My question (finally) is, what can I do to improve sound in here, if any? (Does covering the windows help at all?) (dont ask where I heard that)
Bass traps is the best way to start.. Rigid fiberglass straddling all corners of the room.. Those panels you want to make 4" thick.. You can then follow up with 2" panels on the first reflections in the room..
The above link the last person gave you can really help you out also.. Take your time and do things right.. It will really pay off in the end..

Glenn
GIK Acoustics
www.gikacoustics.com