MXR Limiter

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

BillC
audio school

MXR Limiter

Post by BillC » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:06 am

I recently bought an old MXR Limiter pedal in a cheap second hand shop in the UK, it works but not well; as the sensitivity is increased the signal distorts as if its amplitude is being cut at a rate of about 25Hz. The odd thing about these pedals is they don't take batteries, there is only a power cable from the housing to plug into mains. My question is: if the previous owner had simply switched the US plug for a UK one is this distortion the result?

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:31 am

Maybe.

...seriously though, you should try running it through a step-down transformer that puts out around 117VAC. You don't have to worry about damaging anything by halving the voltage ...usually.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:04 pm

I had one of these for a while...it sounded like utter crap...I sent it to Howard Davis in New York, along with a schem, for him to fix it. He did, but he sent back a note telling me it was crap and would never sound good. :shock:

Skipwave
takin' a dinner break

Post by Skipwave » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:38 pm

I like my MXR Limiter. No distortion, no problems. Put a mic through it. Serious.

Now, the MXR Mini-Limiter and Dual Limiter are completely other beasts.
"I want to be champion of the world, or champion of something." -Duchamp

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:17 am

Is it the red one with four knobs? Same series as the Distortion II? If so, I had one and liked it a lot but just found that it didn't do anything (I liked) that the script Dyna-comp didn't already do (for guitar).
Great pedal.