Acoustico Electrico Recorded Dead of Winter in Minneapolis

konabuzz
takin' a dinner break

Acoustico Electrico Recorded Dead of Winter in Minneapolis

Post by konabuzz » Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:01 am

Hi....

LONG time reader, infrequent poster, mostly poseur......

If you've got an idle moment, please check out my latest mixing project, a husband/wife team in my hometown of Minneapolis who write/play thier own material and were recorded to ADAT primarily with a modest signal chain (couple of large dynamics to Mackie board, etc.) and then mixed in CEP by your's truly. A cheapo drum machine click track was used, but discarded later (ish...) . Better without it, although some brush work might've been nice. These are good friends of mine, so be gentle with them, but don't spare the rod with my mixing....Honesty, please....

thanks!!

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/loopamatic

konabuzz
takin' a dinner break

Re: Acoustico Electrico Recorded Dead of Winter in Minneapol

Post by konabuzz » Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:38 am

Aw, c'mon......

Not even one comment, nasty or nice?

I put a little effort into the mixing of this -- the source material was a tad uneven, having been done in the spare moment here and there, track by track. Lots of cleaning up, tweaking.....fun practice. Happy tracking!

liar
audio school

Post by liar » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:49 am

I really like your mixes. I actually like the source material, but don't tell anyone. :)

I can kind of tell what you mean about "uneven" but it definitely adds character to (potentially) otherwise flat material.

"Take These Wheels" sounds like a Kid Dakota recording. Good or bad? You make that call. (I like it, personally.)

I have "Lonely Out There" on right now. The woman has a great voice... the lyrics are a little on the generic side, but I seriously like their sound. Not bad... I would even go so far as to say I like it.

All in all, GREAT job on your end. You're from Minneapolis? Will you record my band? :) I'm in Madison, WI.

__nick_______________________________

konabuzz
takin' a dinner break

Post by konabuzz » Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:14 pm

Hey,

Thanks for the kind words, Nick.....although with a nick like Liar, uh, Nick.....are you suggesting that everything you wrote is somehow, uh, insincere?

I will operate under the assumption that you are genuine, although I'm not sure I'm deserving of the praise nonetheless....: )

I will say I had fun, and it was a challange....Did a fair amount of noisegating in an effort to clean things up, although in retrospect maybe a few diesel trucks and sirens would've been more true to the "recorded in the living room -- got 20 minutes before work" feel...Recorded the individual tracks one at at time audio from ADAT to Cool Edit. I could've gone with a digital transfer of all 8 tracks, but wanted to run them through outboard compressors, etc. Actually experimented with running the vocals through a 3 head R2R for the tape compression -- subtle, but I can hear it.

Yeah, I agree about her voice......something special. I like his guitar work, too. Can you say Neil Young? And yeah, the lyrics....Well, hey -- I'm terrible with writing lyrics, myself, so I refrain from judging too harshly!

Hey, I wasn't aware of Kid Dakota. Damn.....like it a lot! I see the comparision as far as the rootsiness and sparseness go, but I really like his production -- really great room sound. Hmmmm.......

As far as recording your band....haha....my dreams are bigger than my budget at this point. Got the goods for mixing, but lack the real estate for a good "room" yet. Someday.....

Peace, and say hi to Butch Vig fo'me.....Madison? I'll say hi to....hmmm....who still lives here?

liar
audio school

Butch Vig

Post by liar » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:46 pm

I have a funny Butch Vig story.

I was taking my ol' grandmother grocery shopping. She sees some other old woman she knows, and is all "Hey, that's the mother of that guy you like."

I was all "Whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis?"

"Ohh... the Vig boy."

"No shit, that's Butch's mom?"

So she calls Butch's mom over to talk to me, and I am like.. Oooh!! Siamese Dream! Dirty!

and she's all "Yeah, do you like Garbage?"
and I was like... SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRREEEEEE what-e-ver-you-say... :)

but she told me to (and this is a REAL QUOTE, not a made up one like the others) "Keep on rock and rolling!!!"

She was cute, and it was a fun story.

--Nick

wardshorsehead
buyin' gear

Post by wardshorsehead » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:58 pm

nice stuff...

i live in the cities as well...who is this on the recording? do they play out at all? i'd check them out.

frank

konabuzz
takin' a dinner break

Post by konabuzz » Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:39 pm

Thanks, Frank.....

Yes, they do play out under more of a alterna-roots type guise with bass & drums, but not regularly....outdoor festivals are fav's. I'm hesitant to name them as I posted these mixes more to solicit critique of my dubious talents as a mixer rather than anything else, but I certainly do welcome those comments about the "talent" -- in fact, they mean a hell of a lot to me! : )...And I will certainly pass 'em along. I've got some more recent stuff that I'll post soon, as well as some studio floor sweepings, as I call 'em......

Peas & Carrots