Minidisc question (bit-rate)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Minidisc question (bit-rate)

Post by honkyjonk » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:54 pm

Right forum? Maybe not.

Anyway, does anybody know what bit-rate, and for that matter sampling rate minidisc recorders record at? Specifically, Sony minidisc recorders.

I have some cool stuff that was mixed to MD, and I want to digitally transfer it, so I was looking at a MD player w/ and optical output.

this was in the description:
"The MDS-JE510 also features an 8x over sampling, 18-bit playback digital filter for increased stereo imaging and higher levels of accuracy, and a pulse D/A converter that minimizes zero cross distortion."

Does this actually mean that Sony Minidisc recorders record at 18 bit? Or play back at 18 bit? I just want to digitally transfer a bunch of mixes to compooper, but if it's 18 bit, I'm guessing that's gonna be a hassle.

Oh boy

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:29 pm

I found you a chart at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minidisc (scroll down)

A lot of it is comparing apples to oranges. I get confused quickly when ATRAC enters the picture.

I have a rather old hi-fi component MD player (Sony) that happens to have an optical digi out; I also have a standalone CD burner - if you want a bunch of stuff transfered that way from MD to 16 bit CD I would be happy to do that for you - I would only ask for the postage and an SASE/addressed return mailer since the effort involved would be quite negligible if you are only in need of 2 or 3 CD's worth of transfer -

It would be nice to save you having to buy a MD recorder/player just to do this one thing - PM me if you are interested -

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:39 am

I actually have an old Sharp MD that records at 24 bits...which is why I got it. It does use a compression scheme though...but sounds very, very good to me.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:23 am

Anything you would ever want to know about minidiscs:

http://www.minidisc.org/minidisc_faq.html