Focusrite MKii Dynamic Line Outs

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Sammigz
alignin' 24-trk

Focusrite MKii Dynamic Line Outs

Post by Sammigz » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:00 am

Looking for a good use for these line outs.
I have a Tascam FW-1884 board, and the MKii is hooked up to that.
The board handles the main monitors and has 6 outputs for headphones. I also have a monitor station with 4 more headphone outs. So I'm good there.

I generally keep the 8 inputs of the MKii set up with the drums. But I'd like to run the snare/kick through a couple DBX 500 series compressors I have while recording. Someone told me the line outs could be used as inserts. But wouldn't I need ins and outs for that? Not just outs? I am running everything through a patchbay too. I was considering getting 8 TRS send/return Y-cables and running the line outs to the patchbay, but not sure that would work the same way the inserts work on the board.
Any insight?
HP s5-1110, Windows 7, Intel core i5-2500k CPU@303GHz, 8GB, 64 bit OS-
StudioOne Pro 2.6, Tascam FW1884 & FE8, Focusrite MKII Dynamic, Presonus Monitor Station, Oxygen49-
M-Audio BX5a's, Equator D8's, Audio-Technica ATH-M50's-

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:26 pm

Yeah, pretty sure you can't use inserts in that way, at least not if you want to use the digital out. You could run the line out of the octopre into the dbx units, and then into an analog input.

Sammigz
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Sammigz » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:46 am

JWL wrote:Yeah, pretty sure you can't use inserts in that way, at least not if you want to use the digital out. You could run the line out of the octopre into the dbx units, and then into an analog input.
Got ya, that's what I was thinking. Thanks a ton.
HP s5-1110, Windows 7, Intel core i5-2500k CPU@303GHz, 8GB, 64 bit OS-
StudioOne Pro 2.6, Tascam FW1884 & FE8, Focusrite MKII Dynamic, Presonus Monitor Station, Oxygen49-
M-Audio BX5a's, Equator D8's, Audio-Technica ATH-M50's-