Nashville/High Strung Electric Guitar

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kung_fu_elvis
alignin' 24-trk

Nashville/High Strung Electric Guitar

Post by kung_fu_elvis » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:34 am

Wondering if anyone has used this trick to any degree of success...?

(ie. Put the high strings out of a 12 string set on a 6 string electric, re-string with standards and tightly double track)

My nearest place that might rent an electric 12 string is a five hour round trip.
Mike

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:05 pm

The point of the high strung guitar isn't to mimic a 12-string, but to have a part that doesn't have low end clouding up things. Its more of a rhythm guitar drive thing.

If you want a 12-string sound, you really need a 12-string.

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:57 pm

I keep my thinline tele clone tuned nashville. I often use it for it's own thing. The overlap in the voicings (in many chord shapes, the third and fourth string play the same notes as 1 and 2) is pretty fun, and it leaves a lot of room in the lower register for other things.

I have a couple of times used it to double a part played on a standard-tuned guitar and then mixed them into the same amp sim to fake a 12-string. The success of that particular maneuver depends partly on the pickups being somewhat matched so they kind of sound the same to begin with. Far more important, though, is precision in the actual performance. You really need to lock in almost perfectly in both timing and dynamics for it to not sound like two different guitars. Even then, I'm not sure it really sounds like a 12-string, but it can be an interesting effect. (This is a perhaps not great example. It's actually triple tracked with the low notes seperate from the doubled high notes, and in the solo they all kind of take off in different directions)

I also have a Squier mini-strat (20" scale, IIRC) that I string with standard 10s and tune up a fourth to A which is another way to get a little extra chime into an arrangement and keep it up out of the way of other things.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:58 pm

I have a cheap-o parlour guitar with a P-90 in the hole that I use for nashville tuning. It gets used on 90% of the records that come out of my studio. As stated above, it's not really like a 12 string but it's amazing for adding second rhythm guitar parts. It's really great if you want to make a chorus feel brighter and different without it feeling like theres a second guitar there.
It's also great if you just want to sit around playing Free Falling all day.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:09 pm

Stupid geeky idea, put half a P-Bass pickup (4 pole) under the bottom four strings, run that output to an octaver. Track once. :mrgreen:

The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:57 am

(@Drone)
I make two string pickups that slide under the strings (no need to rout or install) that can do that: http://ubertar.com/hexaphonic/one_and_t ... ckups.html

I could make a four string version, if that's what you're after.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:30 am

Tempting. I've never actually tried it myself, I do have one of those uber cheap clip on soundhole magnetic pickups, that is flat, and has a lead on it, it's currently the bridge on a porch rail guitar I made. I took the bit of PVC pipe out and 'lectrified that sucker.

Apologies to the OP didn't mean to hijack :mrgreen:
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:17 pm

if you double an existing standard 6 string acoustic part with the identical position/voicings nashville guitar you will get a pretty reasonably close 12 string vibe but you'll need to track both and very tightly.

LONG LIVE THE JANGLE!
the new rules : there are no rules

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:32 pm

For a reasonably priced, well-made 12 string, look for a Kapa. They were made in the USA (Maryland) in the 60s, but don't command the same prices
that other US guitars from that time do, but they're very good. I have a 12-string Kapa Minstrel (teardrop shape) and it's easy to play and sounds
great, and it's older than me!

kung_fu_elvis
alignin' 24-trk

Post by kung_fu_elvis » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:38 am

Thanks for all the help! Some good ideas here.

I know that we're going to get an approximation at best, at worst, we'll fall back on liquor and 'free fallin'.
Mike

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:49 pm

I also have an electric in the studio strung for Nashville tuning - it's an old Electra Workingman that sounds great set up that way. I use it less than I might, but when I do it's very cool.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:22 pm

I actually think your (the OP) original idea sounds like a pretty cool solution, even if it's not the intended use of that tuning. It might not sound *exactly* like a 12 string, but if that was important enough to you you'd drive the 5 hours or just get/own your own 12 string. The end result will be something interesting and unique without a doubt!
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

kung_fu_elvis
alignin' 24-trk

Post by kung_fu_elvis » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:16 am

After some ebay slumming, I came across some DIY 12 string kits, came in at about $130 (Canadian) for a 12 sting tele style.

It landed yesterday, a few misaligned pre-drilled holes,
and some minor fitment stuff, but, plugged it in and it doesn't sound half bad. Still need to do a setup and dial stuff in on it, but so long as it holds tune for a take, I'm happy.
Mike

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:43 pm

Izzatta "Cozart"? 'Cuz when ya said "tele style" ...

I bought one last year for "that" sound - works great and even stays in tune for about 2 takes!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kung_fu_elvis
alignin' 24-trk

Post by kung_fu_elvis » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:00 pm

Looks almost like the same as the Cozart kit... only difference is the pickguard.

The part I'm intending to put down is just in the choruses in one song, which gives me time to punch in and tune, and tune as needed. Family time has dictated that I won't be messing with it anymore until tomorrow... but, closing in on having it setup.
Mike