Digi002 Question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bluestar03
studio intern

Digi002 Question

Post by bluestar03 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:39 am

I just bought a Digi 002 and I have a question. Is there a way, without using my computer, to insert a plug-in on the 002? I am incredibly familiar with Pro Tools itself, both TDM and RTAS systems, and have spent many hours studying and using the Control 24 console. The Control 24 is designed so that there is minimal use of the keyboard on your computer which makes for a more efficient session. Each channel has insertion points, sends etc. I got a great deal on the unit because it was an open box purchase so I don't know if there was an instruction manual for the 002 itself. I just want a more efficient session and going back and forth between console and computer is a pain in the ass. :lol:
"The key to knowledge is knowing that you know nothing."

Garthplinko
gettin' sounds

Post by Garthplinko » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:07 am

If I understand you correctly, I think you'd need to buy an outboard mic pre - as far as I know, there's no good way to actually insert something so the signal processor goes to "tape" without using an outboard pre.

mic -> outboard preamp -> eq or whatever -> input on 002.

This is an issue I don't like about my 002 as well.
"Just because you don't like it don't mean it ain't no good."

bluestar03
studio intern

Post by bluestar03 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:31 am

Actually I am talking about inserting a plug-in within Pro Tools, not externally. I just want to know about a control (a button or two) on the console that will insert, for example, a compressor onto a channel. I want to control the entire session from the 002 with the exception of opening and closing the session. The mouse just takes too long. I understand the signal flow of it all, just looking for short cuts.

tasker
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tasker » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:05 am

I don't think you can do that. You could however run the track's output to one of the PT direct outs, into a processor, and then return it to another track's input. Screwy, but it's a workaround.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:27 am

tasker wrote:I don't think you can do that. You could however run the track's output to one of the PT direct outs, into a processor, and then return it to another track's input. Screwy, but it's a workaround.
Again, he's not talking about external processors.

bluestar: How do you do that on a C|24, by the way?
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

tasker
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tasker » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:30 am

aheeeeeem. right, of course. there needs to be a "delete stupid statement" on this board for replies such as my previous one...

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:38 am

Let me rephrase this because I can't answer it:

Hello. My dog ate my computer keyboard and mouse and all I have is my 002 interface. Can I apply plug-ins to a track via some magic buttons on the 002? I won't be able to buy a new keyboard or mouse until I pay for my vet bill.

Roger

bluestar03
studio intern

Post by bluestar03 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:26 pm

On the Control 24 each channel I believe has it's own insert and send button. It's been a while. But if you hit the insert button then the assign button you can then choose the insert you desire. Hit assign to confirm then you can control all of the parameters from the board. It's all about effeciency. I guess that is a feature of a more expensive system. I know about the line outputs on the back of the 002 and my dog eats everything, I don't know what to do.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:41 pm

bluestar03 wrote:On the Control 24 each channel I believe has it's own insert and send button. It's been a while. But if you hit the insert button then the assign button you can then choose the insert you desire. Hit assign to confirm then you can control all of the parameters from the board. It's all about effeciency. I guess that is a feature of a more expensive system. I know about the line outputs on the back of the 002 and my dog eats everything, I don't know what to do.
Wow, I just tried that on the C|24 and it is cool, though it seems like it'd be quicker to use the mouse than to keep turning the softknob until the right plug comes up--and how does it interpret the new nested plug menu?

Anyway, you can control all the effect parameters from a 002, that's no problem. As far as activating an insert and assigning a plug to it, I'm gonna RTFM but I'll also suggest that certain features that the C|24 has but the 002 doesn't might partly explain the $6000 difference in price between the two.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

bluestar03
studio intern

Post by bluestar03 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:53 pm

no doubt. the 24 has one million more features than the 002, hence the pricetag.

bluestar03
studio intern

Post by bluestar03 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:55 pm

no doubt. the 24 has one million more features than the 002, hence the pricetag. glad I could help. Hey, wasn't I the one with the question?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:41 pm

bluestar03 wrote: glad I could help. Hey, wasn't I the one with the question?
Welcome to TOMB.

Spindrift
pushin' record

Post by Spindrift » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:30 pm

You can't insert a new plug-in with the 002. What bugs me even more is that you can't change automation modes with it either. Same with the Command 8. This is a massive flaw and I wish I had the Mackie Control instead. Still, much better than mixing with a mouse.