Room Treatments Behind Monitors

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Room Treatments Behind Monitors

Post by TV Lenny » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:03 pm

I use Mackie 824's as my main monitors for mixing. I do all mixing as of late in my project studio and all recording at a nice big studio. I have changed rooms and layouts often but not really used any material behind the monitors. I don't plan on changing my mixing room for awhile so I want to tune it better. Bruce Swedien would have me use traps for sure! I was thinking more along the lines of a good absortion material. (packing blankets covered by a nice looking cloth) Any suggestions?
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

overnight
audio school graduate

Post by overnight » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:30 pm

These folks were helpful though some go overboard. Ethan is awsome.

http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php

I put up bass traps in the corners and broadband panels on the wall outside of each monitor. Where ever there was an obvious wall reflection from the monitor, I put a panel there. Total number with bass traps = 5. Cost me $300 and weekend of working with rigid fiberglass insulation, 2X4's and burlap. A little homework goes a long way. Evened out my space plenty for my purposes. Curtains suck, do it right. Good luck.
Don't let yourself be blinded by the beauty of the tools to create beauty. Hold out for the real thing.

47.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

carlsaff
takin' a dinner break

Post by carlsaff » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:46 am

Before you can tune the room, you need to know what it's specific problems are. What are the problems you've noticed? And have you tried any testing to see what problems might exist that are difficult to detect simply by listening to music?
Carl Saff Mastering
http://www.saffmastering.com

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:40 am

Well the room is actually not too bad. There is some bass buildup in the corners but I have addressed most of that. The ceiling is not a completely flat ceiling, but the walls are perpendicular. My back wall I use a large bookshelf for diffusion (and reading!). My goal is to do some minor treatments (absorbtion) so the listening position will be a little more accurate. It sounds very good now, but is slightly live. My mixes were sounding a little light on bass. I adjusted my monitors and used some material in the corners. However, I am now planning on moving within the next few months. So, I'm not going to get too crazy with this room and wait til I move.
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups