Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Sennheiser HD-202 5-pack?

Post by inverseroom » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:02 am

You know this deal that BSW has, 5 cans for a Benjamin:

http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=HD202PKG

Are these any good? I vaguely remember a TOmag review but can't find it. My family of 4 needs to silence each other's various stereos, video games, and dvd players. It's like freakin' Circuit City in here.

I guess I'm interested in knowing if they're good, at this price, for casual music listening, simple reference for tracking in the studio, etc.

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:09 am

Totally. I use after I run out of better stuff (280s, AKG 240, Sonys, etc) or when I think someone might abuse the cans. Like, my 7 year old girl for example. I'v e also used them myself a fair amount.

They sound surprisingly good and for the price can't be beat. Lots better thatn my previous budget set, a $45 Denon.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:23 am

I bought that package like a year ago and the headphones have been great. CAreful using them with a long extension though. They seem to really load down my cheap headphone amp when run on an extension. Makes it hum really bad. I have to use my Sonys in my drum room. Work fine plugged directly into the headphone amp though. Otherwise, they are great sounding. I don't think I would mix with them. They have lots of low end. I think they are great for the money for sure!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:03 am

aha.. i just bought four akg k44's from full compass with rush shipping so i can have them in time for a tracking session friday. I was running a mix match of various closed/open back headphones with various ohmage and finally two more died so i decided to go with four of the k44's so i'd have less of a variable with everyone tracking using the same damn brand of cans. I'd be interested to hear about other cheap brands since i seem to put have to replace one every 4-6 months.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:06 am

I've got 18 sets of the HD-202 headphones in the school studio and have used them for over three years now. They are pretty comfortable, they sound good, they are closed back to you don't have to hear the kids' music coming out of the cans, they are durable, and they are cheap. What more could a growing boy need.

Just make sure the kids know not to turn things up too loud. They may want to enjoy music when they grow up too. :rockin:

-Jeremy

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:23 pm

Thanks, y'all! I will probably grab a few when I get a bit of dough, in the coming weeks. And thanks for the tip about the kids' hearing...we're very conscious of this...gotta keep it quiet, is the rule.

philbo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by philbo » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:23 pm

For what you want, they'd be great.

I use them for tracking on louder stuff, and for casual listening. They are comfortable and light and sound pretty decent.

They are not completely closed, they'll leak a little sound - - they are closed enough for most stuff though.
________
Colorado dispensaries
Last edited by philbo on Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:18 pm

inverseroom wrote:Thanks, y'all! I will probably grab a few when I get a bit of dough, in the coming weeks. And thanks for the tip about the kids' hearing...we're very conscious of this...gotta keep it quiet, is the rule.
You're a horrible parent.. i need to tell you how to parent... jerkface writer and his deaf kids...

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:53 am

trodden wrote:
inverseroom wrote:Thanks, y'all! I will probably grab a few when I get a bit of dough, in the coming weeks. And thanks for the tip about the kids' hearing...we're very conscious of this...gotta keep it quiet, is the rule.
You're a horrible parent.. i need to tell you how to parent... jerkface writer and his deaf kids...
What's that? I can't hear you.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:08 pm

inverseroom wrote:
trodden wrote:
What's that? I can't hear you.
pay no mind to trods, crank it or yank it!
or, in my case, crank it AND yank it. :oops:

i got a pair of HD-202 phones for casual listening and i like them.
they're far from ideal, but this isn't for critical listening, is it?
they also keep playback out of the mic you're about to sing into, which is very important.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Soundmonkey
gettin' sounds

Post by Soundmonkey » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:25 pm

I work at a small radio station and we used these when we first started. They sound great for the money but don't last long due to the double sided cords and tiny wire. They were great for about 5 months, then I had to replace all the plugs. About 2 months later, all the cords shorted on the headphone end. The cords are molded into the cans unfortunately. Can't really complain for the money though.

We buy a lot of stuff from BSW. They have some good deals on Mic's, at least compared to your average sweetfriendwarehouse type e-store. Picked up a matched pair of Rode nt-5's for $275 new.