Spring reverb recommendation

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ghost trance
audio school graduate

Spring reverb recommendation

Post by ghost trance » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:26 pm

Hello, this is my first post after discovering the message board. I am a longtime "free" subscriber.

As I have no experience with electronics and cannot build my own, I am looking to purchase a spring reverb unit. Though I am very interested in a '63 Fender RI unit, the Vermona Retubeverb, and the Demeter Real Reverb, they are out of my range (under 300 USD) as a student.

Any [analogue] recommendations?

jv
pushin' record

Post by jv » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:43 pm

The PAIA hot springs reverb is nice:
http://www.paia.com/hotsprgs.htm
It is a kit, but maybe you could find a pre-built one on ebay, or pay somebody to build it for you (it's a pretty simple circuit).

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:51 pm

the 63 fender is cool but I dont like it that much..I'm sure its $$$ too..I have a pioneer sr-101 tube spring (1960's i think) that I got from someone on here for $30 that I love..both that and the roland re-201 space echo beat the fender for guitar reverb sound for my last record..the re-201 you might be able to get for a little more than 300$..and I swear it will make you so happy to have one..its got to be my favorite thing ever invented..

the 101's go for about 100-150$ on ebay..I dont think you will be unhappy if you pick one up because its a great vintage sounding mechanical device..its a one trick pony but its a quality trick..actually you can use it with no verb to add "insert geigh phat toob adjective here" to your signal..I've done it..no verb on a line level guitar signal = awesome for making guitar float in a mix..

I'd giver a look to see if it floats your guitar boat..

n.b. they are old so buyer beware of lemons..

johnny7
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by johnny7 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:18 pm

Micmix XL 305
This was the state of the art (small) spring verb from about 1980.
Two chambers and EQ
Got mine for $40!
J7

JustinHedrick
steve albini likes it

Post by JustinHedrick » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:19 pm

check out the biamp brand of reverbs. when you can find them they are cheap. i got mine in a pawn shop for $40. the guy thought it was broken, it just needed grounded. or, try a vestafire, or pioneer, as mentioned before, just search spring reverb in the home eletronics part of ebay.

justin

rafspielman
pluggin' in mics

Post by rafspielman » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:26 pm

i've heard that the tapco ones are pretty good and i think they cost about $50 but i've never heard it myself. i briefly owned a DOD unit that i got for $50 that i would not recommend cause the reverb was very thin.

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:42 pm

Boy, I love my RE-201 spring reverb. Probably not the quality spring reverb that you are looking for, but a damn nice effect. I thought that the reverb was inherently weak in these units until I was doing some maintenance on it and I opened the reverb tank to find that the spring was disconnected at one end. Went ahead and connected her on up, and oh what joy did I find in the unexpected effect that was quickly added to that box. Sorry for the tangent here.

ghost trance
audio school graduate

Post by ghost trance » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:03 pm

Thank you for the replies. I will search around the net for the older units.
I've always wanted an RE-201 but I think I will hold out for one of the new Fulltone tape echo units.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:23 pm

There's a Peavey Valverb on ebay right now.

Mix413
buyin' gear

Post by Mix413 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:41 pm

The MasterRoom XL-305 and the Orban 111B are quite good and can be found at very reasonable prices. The MicMix Super C and AKG BX20 are the kings of spring and would cost a bit more and require more maintainance. In just the right places a spring reverb and be a very useful and fun tool.
Estudio Ensenada
Rincon, Puerto Rico
https://www.facebook.com/estudio.ensenada.PR/

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:43 pm

dont forget the "great british spring".

man, i sold one of those pioneer tube jobbies for $20 on this board.. can't believe they are worth $100 now.

http://www.musicgoround.com/gear/invent ... ?id=426063

that looks kinda neat too.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:05 pm

Look into the Vermona. It's supposed to be pretty flexible...

Ha! Pun intended!!!!!

Woo-hoo.

Paul Fury 161
gettin' sounds

Post by Paul Fury 161 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:13 am

Hi all.

Those pioneer sr-101's look cool! I love this sort of stuff, much more fun than a plugin, bet it'd work great with my little PT rig for a bit more color.Don't suppose anybody knows if you can switch them to run on uk mains voltage (220v/240v)? The great british spring is quite hard to find over here, they go for a bit more money than they are really worth I reckon. And to think I passed one up for ?120 three years ago because I was broke! Dammit.

What are the connectors on the pioneer unit? I presume it is intended for some sort of line in/line out operation on an aux, or similar.

Anybody got one they wanna sell me? ;-p

Cheers yallz,

Paul
"These mixes are really great. I only want to re-record all the guitars and vocals - can I have the masters please?"

www.myspace.com/extinguishher

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:19 am

The intersound springs are pretty great, and they have weird parametric EQ's on them. I use mine all the time. It is mono. For a stereo spring verb, The AKG BX5 is a cool rack mounted unit. Of course, the BX10 and 20 are beautiful as well.

For a flavorful choice, the intersound is really, really cool. The fact that it has a HPF and two channels of parametric EQ is pretty neat... Totally weird, but can sound really great, especially with some pre-delay from a tape echo unit..

The Korg stage echo is another one i use all the time, and it s tape echo and spring verb in one box... Pretty handy.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:46 pm

the tapcos are nice. I have a furman RV-1 that I like a lot.

It's amazing what you can find with the conveniently located search button (7 pages of threads with 'spring reverb').

use it, it rules.

Will