Good "natural" digital reverb (mid-priced)?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

stubenbaines
audio school graduate

Good "natural" digital reverb (mid-priced)?

Post by stubenbaines » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:00 am

I own an Orban spring which I love to use on vocals since I enjoy going for 50s-60s recording sound. But for longer decays and instruments it's not so great.

I figure I'm not likely to come across an EMT plate, and I don't have an echo chamber or huge room, so what would all recommend for a good digital version of a plate and room reverb.

My frame of reference would be 60s recording, so I don't need anything modern sounding or with wild effects. To emulate that era I tend to just use 1 or 2 reverbs on all recordings. So I'd rather pay more for 1 or 2 good sounds then get a bunch of different settings.

I would like to be in the sub 1000 range and right now I have the Lexicon LXP1, but was wondering what you all thought for a good upgrade.
------------------------------------------------
http://www.silentstereorecords.com
http://silentstereorecords.blogspot.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:41 am

The "Gold Foil Plate" on the Sony DPS-R7 is surprisingly cool. The Lexicons are cool, but don't sound very much like EMTs to me. I do like some of the chambers in the PCM 90 and have used them on 60-sounding stuff, but you're probably looking at over a grand there.

You should look into the PlateSonics plates. Drumsound just got one for review. Maybe he'll post about it when he gets around to checking it out.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:51 am

the best digital natural ones I've heard are altiverb, space designer, and the other convolution type reverbs out there..

stubenbaines
audio school graduate

Post by stubenbaines » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:03 pm

That's good to see someone's making new plate reverbs. I like the looks of what they're doing. Although it seems like their plates still need some tweaking with no dampening or enclosures.

Oh one other thing for the reverb - no plugins or software based reverbs. It needs to be an external box, since I'm running tape.

Mix413
buyin' gear

Post by Mix413 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:11 pm

The room sounds in the Lexicon PCM 60 sound pretty good. You might want to also try a little tape slap being that you're going for a 50's - 60's sound. Just a touch of slap can be really cool and that's certainly part of the sound from that era.
Estudio Ensenada
Rincon, Puerto Rico
https://www.facebook.com/estudio.ensenada.PR/

Eric Rottmayer
pushin' record

Post by Eric Rottmayer » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:29 pm

digital reverb sucks............
not even worth it. it's better than nothing....no, wait, it's not.
don't get involved. at all.

use real reverb if you can. by real i mean, spring, chamber, room. whatever.

e

jcooke
gettin' sounds

kurzweil

Post by jcooke » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:49 pm

The Kurzweil Rumour has lots of good reviews and costs $500 new.

Jcooke

stubenbaines
audio school graduate

Post by stubenbaines » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:14 pm

Yeah, I know digital reverb sucks, but at the same time, I don't have an empty swimming pool or septic tank to use as a chamber.

I've tried reamping and I can get a decent small room reverb, but nothing larger since I'm doing this in my house. So I was looking for something larger. Something like on Dusty's "The Look of Love" or Etta Jame's "Same Rope".

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:53 pm

TC Electronics makes some really nice reverbs. I bought an M2000 used for $500 last summer, and it's way smoother than the Yamahas I'd grown up with.

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:24 pm

I have an Eventide 2016 reverb. I looooove the long reverbs on them.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:55 am

Scodiddly wrote:TC Electronics makes some really nice reverbs. I bought an M2000 used for $500 last summer, and it's way smoother than the Yamahas I'd grown up with.
I use the M2000 all the time, and the SPX90. I also love the sound of stacked verbs, multiple types. I really like the sound of a spring into the M2000, or the other way around if it is going to have some drums happening... A de-esser on the send will help a lot too, for any reverb.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:41 am

You probably won't believe this, but the Alesis Wedge is a sleeper steal. You can find them for $100 a pop these days- discontinued.

Some of the darker presets are really quite nice, and you can tweak the parameters all you want. I use the "Capitol Chamber" and "Gotham Room" all the time.

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Quest Poetics » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:19 pm

Save yourself money and download the free version of the Pluggo runtime installer. Do a search and find the free pluggo convolution reverb plugin for the pluggo enviroment. There are tons of sites w/ free (legal) impulses, and when I say tons...I mean tons....I use mine unceasingly even though I have to use it as audiosuite and print it to disk...It does save cpu usage and it sounds pretty much just like altiverb, ir1 etc. I've pretty much got all of the sexy lexicon, eventide, tc electronic impulses as well as tons of gorgeous sounding rooms...Check it, it's really worth your time!

Peace!
www.rhymeandmelody.com

Podcast where we review gear as well as drop Guitars / Beatboxing / Freestyle rhyme one week and the following episode you hear the fully produced track.

Peace and keep recording!!!

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Quest Poetics » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:22 pm

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthreaded. ... w=&sb=5&o=

Go to that link for all the delicious info and where to download the free convolution Reverb!

Peace!
Last edited by Quest Poetics on Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.rhymeandmelody.com

Podcast where we review gear as well as drop Guitars / Beatboxing / Freestyle rhyme one week and the following episode you hear the fully produced track.

Peace and keep recording!!!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:35 pm

cgarges wrote:The "Gold Foil Plate" on the Sony DPS-R7 is surprisingly cool. The Lexicons are cool, but don't sound very much like EMTs to me. I do like some of the chambers in the PCM 90 and have used them on 60-sounding stuff, but you're probably looking at over a grand there.

You should look into the PlateSonics plates. Drumsound just got one for review. Maybe he'll post about it when he gets around to checking it out.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Chris,
How is that sony in general? I have been looking for another useful box like that....
I actually like using digital verbs in the right places...