Good "natural" digital reverb (mid-priced)?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:02 pm

joel hamilton wrote:Chris,
How is that sony in general? I have been looking for another useful box like that....
I actually like using digital verbs in the right places...
It's one of my favorite digital verbs. Nice short rooms. Definitely Japanese, but not too offensive in the right places. Also has some kind of cool effecty presets. I like them so much, I've got two of them.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:49 pm

cgarges wrote:
How is that sony in general? I have been looking for another useful box like that....
It's one of my favorite digital verbs. Nice short rooms. Definitely Japanese, but not too offensive in the right places. Also has some kind of cool effecty presets. I like them so much, I've got two of them.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
How much do those little jammers go for these days?

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:05 pm

cgarges wrote:

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Did another sony unit have the "gold foil plate" setting as well? I worked at a place a few years ago that had a Sony and the "gold foil plate" setting was my favorite, however doing a image search of the DPS-R7 turns up something that doesn't quite look like a sony box that they had, unless i'm just not remembering it the right way. But definitely liked that setting. Unfortunately when the studio shut down and was liquidating its gear, I could only afford one of the SPX-90's. Which use mostly in my live rack for synth and sampler effects.

trumpetgunk
alignin' 24-trk

Post by trumpetgunk » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:35 pm

Sound Campaign wrote:http://duc.digidesign.com/showthreaded. ... w=&sb=5&o=

Go to that link for all the delicious info and where to download the free convolution Reverb!

Peace!
Thanks for this link! I installed the reverb and it works really nicely!!

For reference:
Dual G4 (lowly 450's)
PT7 / MBox

(Yes, an unsupported operating system running on unsupported hardware! A little slow, but it works.)

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:15 pm

aren't some of the most coveted and expensive and good sounding reverbs digital?

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:52 am

trodden wrote:Did another sony unit have the "gold foil plate" setting as well? I worked at a place a few years ago that had a Sony and the "gold foil plate" setting was my favorite, however doing a image search of the DPS-R7 turns up something that doesn't quite look like a sony box that they had, unless i'm just not remembering it the right way. But definitely liked that setting. Unfortunately when the studio shut down and was liquidating its gear, I could only afford one of the SPX-90's. Which use mostly in my live rack for synth and sampler effects.
Could be. There was the DPS-V77, which had a bunch of the presets from the DPS series stuff in one box. It looked a lot like the R7. Sony also made a couple of little half-rack things, but I'm not sure about those. I have also used the Sony DPS-V55 and I remember liking the reverbs in that a lot (there was a really cool "Stone Room" or something like that), but I don't remember if it specifically had a "Gold Foil Plate."

I haven't really looked at prices on the R7s in a while. I stopped after buying two. I think they're probably going for around $300, but I could be wrong about that.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC