torn speaker help

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

torn speaker help

Post by permanent hearing damage » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:51 pm

hey, i finally took the grill off my ampeg 8x10" as the top has been making some awful noises recently. well, i noticed that two of the speakers have separated from the outer edge - one almost completely, another just a little bit. i'm not talking flat out tears, just ripped along the seem on the outer circumference of the speaker cone.

anyway, i'm assuming i can adhere these things back together with some sort of glue/caulk. anyone have experience with this stuff? what is a good material to use? i gotta get to this quick, it needs to be used again in about a week.

thanks in advance

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:16 pm

I hate it when that happens.

http://www.newfoam.com/kits.asp

and... http://www.speakerrepair.com/

and... http://www.decware.com/newsite/yrkits.htm

Re-edging your surrounds (foam) is a pain in the ass.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:57 pm

Do those speakers have foam surrounds? Most older speakers are all paper. Your best bet is to find someone in your town that can do a speaker re-cone.

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:19 pm

thanks for your input on this folks. but is there something i can do for a quick, temporary fix? glue it back together for now? tape? should i just disconnect it? i just wanna stop it from buzzing while i'm tracking for the next session i've got.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:28 pm

I have used rubber cement to fix small tears and holes, sometimes even successfully.

I am sure that you ruin anything you put the stuff on, but it has lasted a couple of shows.

Layer thin coats, allowing it to dry between layers.

YMMV.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:29 pm

Yes, you can just pull the foam away from the edges where it's seperated. What you may find though is there's more "rot" and seperation than you thought.

Nonetheless, it will kill the buzzing and lower fequency distortion you're hearing. You may also experience a loss in volume from that speaker. But as a temporary quick fix it'll work.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna