Setup on Otari MTR-10

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Setup on Otari MTR-10

Post by Al_Huero » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:27 pm

I just picked up an Otari MTR-10 1/4-in 2-track and am looking for recommendations on setup/calibration. I'll be experimenting with dumping mixes tracked and mixed in PT to tape. The unit can run at 7.5, 15 and 30 ips. Most of the stuff I record is punk/garage rock type bands. Tape formulations I'm considering are 456 and GP9. I'm looking for imparting some "tape saturation" to the sound, so not sure which would be best--456 at 15 ips or GP9 at 30. I'll also be looking to pick up an MRL tape, but would prefer to get a base one (maybe 355 mWb/m) and then maybe just vary the reproducer gain to get to other reference fluxivities.

I've got the machine at a shop being cleaned up and checked out; and I'd like to have them do an initial calibration as well. At this point I just need to decide how to have them set it up.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: Setup on Otari MTR-10

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:59 pm

Al_Huero wrote:I just picked up an Otari MTR-10 1/4-in 2-track and am looking for recommendations on setup/calibration. I'll be experimenting with dumping mixes tracked and mixed in PT to tape. The unit can run at 7.5, 15 and 30 ips. Most of the stuff I record is punk/garage rock type bands. Tape formulations I'm considering are 456 and GP9. I'm looking for imparting some "tape saturation" to the sound, so not sure which would be best--456 at 15 ips or GP9 at 30. I'll also be looking to pick up an MRL tape, but would prefer to get a base one (maybe 355 mWb/m) and then maybe just vary the reproducer gain to get to other reference fluxivities.

I've got the machine at a shop being cleaned up and checked out; and I'd like to have them do an initial calibration as well. At this point I just need to decide how to have them set it up.
My 1/4" machine is the big brother of that one, the MTR15.
When I go to 1/4" (which I actually love) I use 499 or GP9 at +6, 30 IPS almost always. For mega flavor smooshing I will go 15 IPS or even 7.5 for effect, but 30 IPS if you like whats coming out of the speakers BEFORE going to tape.....

15 IPS on those machines is a little smooshy in my opinion. Slam it harder at 30 if you want some top end "grind" without losing ALL your hard earned transient info....

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:17 pm

Cool Joel, thanks. +6 setup is using a 355 nWb/m MRL tape?