mic pres with consumer level outputs? (-10dBV, unbalanced)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

mic pres with consumer level outputs? (-10dBV, unbalanced)

Post by Family Hoof » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:25 am

Yes, I have UTFSF. A talented, yet technologically challanged relative of mine needs a pair of mic pres for recording grand piano direct to consumer CD-R or cassette via -10dBV RCA inputs. Phantom power is a must. Sure, I could rig up something to pad the outputs of a +4dBu balanced device, but I'd rather not have to. He is not particularly concerned with high fidelity and doesn't have much money. I know the Tape Op crowd used to be well versed in such low-budget gear. Is this still the case? Can anyone recommend something, preferably available new?

Thanks for your help!

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:31 am

Two(2) .... Studio Projects VTB-1's......or.....DMP3..!..... 8)

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:56 am

I was looking at the DMP3 but got the impression it's +4 out. Have you ran it into consumer input gear with good results? Not too much level?
Last edited by Family Hoof on Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:00 am

Presonus BlueTube?

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:07 am

Blue Tube looks like a good candidate. Wish it did'nt have that drive control, though. Thanks!

sismofyt
alignin' 24-trk

Post by sismofyt » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:35 am

there's no such thing as +4dB/-10dB it's all in your (our) heads. he can use any pre, just turn down the gain

no point in amplifying say 40dB for then to pad it 14dB down

gainstaging is very important. getting hung up on specs is not. those hifi machines may have levels all over the place anyway

if he's not overly interested in sound quality, he can go into _any_ musicshop and give the clerk a hundred dollar bill and come home with something usefull

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:05 pm

sismofyt wrote:there's no such thing as +4dB/-10dB it's all in your (our) heads. he can use any pre, just turn down the gain
I beg your padon. What dB spec are you talking about? In my post I said -10dBV as opposed to +4dBu. That's 0.316 volts RMS compared to 1.228V. There's a big difference. This is the nominal level that a piece of gear has been designed to fascilitate, and no, it is not in our heads.

Yes, you could use a mic pre having a nominal operating level of +4dBu out to feed a -10dBV input with the gain turned down IF the input signal was low enough, but this preamp is giving you a higher level than needed at all settings, in all applications. Not a good choice for versatility.
no point in amplifying say 40dB for then to pad it 14dB down
Actually, the difference is 11.78dB, not 14, but your point is a valid one. This is precisely why I want to buy a mic pre which doesn't have the additonal voltage gain and balancing circuitry needed to operate at +4dBu, as stated in my original post.
gainstaging is very important.
Once again, I agree. It is ashame that so few "engineers" demonstate a proper understanding of it.

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:40 pm

I think on the output of the VTB-1 ( at least on the 2 I have) the 1/4" output is TRS, but if you use an unbalanced cable,it'll default to -10. The XLR output is +4. If you use an unbalanced 1/4" to rca cable to your card, I think you'll be safe! I feed the 1/4" output in the -10 rca input of my Adats all the time . No problem...!.... 8)

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:42 pm

Dropping one leg of a balanced output equates to a 6dB loss. I forgot about ADATs with RCA ins. Thanks for the report! Seems like I've got a few good possibilities here. :D