Sanity Clause

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Winslow Leech
alignin' 24-trk

Sanity Clause

Post by Winslow Leech » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:00 pm

I need a really basic producer contract with an un-signed band. Since I'm normally just songwriting-guy, and this is my first producing experience(I'm rec/mixing too) I'm a little unclear on the exactities.

-3 percent of gross
-liscensing income too?
-ignore studio time issues etc... I just need the points worked out.

I realise there is no exact standard, we are looking for something fair and average. If the points seem way off, they could potentially be adjusted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will even accept dumb submissions. eg: The first party shall be entitled to one back rub per each 100 units sold.

covert
pushin' record

Post by covert » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:24 am

Okay, someone has to say it. We all know there aint no sanity clause. RIP Groucho Marx
"when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

All I can say is, find a decent entertainment/art lawyer to draw one up, or pull out one that is already in his/her practice. I have a lawyer friend who says that even contracts are not worth the paper they are written on unless you have adequate counsel to enforce the provisions.

If you use some contract you pulled off the web and then have problems with the others in the contract, you will have to get a lawyer to mediate the conflict. If I were a lawyer I would prefer to work under a contract I drew up, that way I'd know the ins and outs. Taking a home made contract into a lawyer for conflict resolution is kind of like taking your own recipie and ingredients to a baker and asking for popovers.

I am sure there are lawyers and others who will say any lawyer worth her/his salt will be able to defend anything. I agree with that, but if you are looking for the best case scenario, I'd take things from the ground up with someone who has a decent track record.
not to worry, just keep tracking....