SSL new little console thingy...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

SSL new little console thingy...

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:56 pm

has anyone used this thing? obviously it's mad expensive, and i won't be getting one, but i'm very curious about it... it has true moving fader automation, as well as the old VCA mode, and can save the automation information within the sequencer app... as well as all the DAW control, a G series bus compressor, G EQ... sounds like it might actually be pretty amazing.

this post should probably be on gearslutz, as it's so 'sesh' and high end of a product...

I have been jonesing for automation that isn't within the DAW... I want to change the level of things AFTER they hit compression/EQ or whatever I've inserted between the DAW and console.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:39 pm

I believe that it can work as a control surface to operate the DAW (including its automation). I don't believe it has analog automation.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:22 pm

according to the ssl website, it does have true moving fader automation... kinda makes the 80k price tag seem a TAD bit more appropriate...

http://www.solid-state-logic.com/music/aws_omation.html

if it's an add on, that's a pricey add on... but still pretty cool.

j
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

seaneldon
pushin' record

Post by seaneldon » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:52 pm

the entire console is add-ons, pretty much. the legs are like a grand.

i sold a couple of these as a dealer. they can do almost anything you'd want to do with a recording console, but the sound isn't necessarily the best.

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:07 pm

drumsound wrote:I believe that it can work as a control surface to operate the DAW (including its automation). I don't believe it has analog automation.
Its both. I've had this thing demo'ed to me literally five plus times, and each time I find cool new features. The automation can just be a control surface for protools, or, actually automation. The faders digitally control the console, thusly allowing them to flip modes.

Its a nice little board. If it had 32 channels and dynamics on every channel, I think it'd be awesome. 8)

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:02 pm

dokushoka wrote: Its a nice little board. If it had 32 channels and dynamics on every channel, I think it'd be awesome.
I agree. As it is, I wouldn't pay more than $50k for it. If it was 48 channels I think it would be worth the ~ $90k.