Check out my new space and give advice? (pics inside)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Check out my new space and give advice? (pics inside)

Post by honkyjonk » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:25 pm

Well, I'm moving into a new place, and here, at the end of the living area is a strange little space that has a partial wall closing it off a bit. The house is made out of adobe brick. The ceiling is slanted. It's got a pretty cool vibe too.

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/4006/p10100058hl.jpg

I've walked around a little bit, playing guitar, and as if it is a surprise at all, this is the most problematic area:

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/6987/p10100031zq.jpg

There is a huge audible buildup in the bass frequencies, even just playing acoustic guitar. So, one reason for this post is, I was wondering if someone might reccomend me some DIY bass trap instructions/links other than the Ethan Winer ones, which from what I've seen so far, seem like he built them into his wall, which I can't do. I've tried to make the Jon Risch ones too, but for aesthetic reasons and because of the fact that they don't work very well, probably because I didn't seal them right, (w/ caulk) I'd like to start over and hopefully build some super pimped out bass traps. Any other links? Or should I just try a corner version of the Ethan Winer traps?

Also, this is where I intend to put the mixer and monitors. They'll be in front of the windows, but it's out from behind that wall, which I feel is better. Plus I get to look out the windows.

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/1703/p10100047na.jpg

Anyway, I just thought I'd post this before I move in. I'm actually considering isolating the ground in a couple outlets. But that's another post. Any reccomendations considering acoustics ideas or anything else would be much appreciated.

Ethan Winer
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Check out my new space and give advice? (pics inside)

Post by Ethan Winer » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:20 pm

> other than the Ethan Winer ones, which from what I've seen so far, seem like he built them into his wall, which I can't do. <

There's much more information on bass traps in my Acoustics FAQ:

www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

For most rooms, thick dense rigid fiberglass mounted straddling corners is even better than the wood panel traps shown in my plans article from Electronic Musician magazine you mentioned. This is explained in detail in the above FAQ, along with quite a bit of other useful acoustics information.

--Ethan

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:34 pm

That's a really cool looking space. Maybe the bricks limit your sonic capabilities, but they LOOK fantastic.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:43 pm

Forget the mixing space- I bet it would be great as a reverb chamber!

myfipie
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by myfipie » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:34 pm

I believe for a space like that you are really going to need broadband rigid fiberglass panels.. Wood panels are great but you would need to build many differnt sizes to tame all the problems you are going to have with that space.. Start with the corners..

Glenn
GIK Acoustics
www.gikacoustics.com

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:38 pm

Cool,

Thanks Ethan!

I hadn't seen that info yet