decent preamp for snare and kick

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ape32
gettin' sounds

Post by ape32 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:13 pm

I second the Haptone Jfet if you can solder. I use it for kick and snare and really like the density it gives. I don't really distort it - used conservatively it can be quite clean.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:26 pm

the syteks are pretty cool, however they don't have a pad... kinda a pain in the ass for drums, though... but they sound really good, and at 800 for 4 channels, you get 2 more channels for toms or overheads... i bet you could find some used for around your price range.

i have been loving the neve porticos for kick and snare. they sound really really good.... but are a bit out of your price range.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:36 pm

I just got a pair of Yamaha PM1000 gonna try them soon but I heard good things $400

E
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

toilet tunes
audio school graduate

Post by toilet tunes » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:27 pm

the hamptone jfet on snare my go 2
kip

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:56 am

I have a hamptone jfet. I would not recommend it if you're thinking kick n snare... I'd rather have more headroom, api style. Plus its out of your price range. RNP would be a really good choice.

Joel I'm very tempted to grab some of those Sage pre's.. I live in Ottawa so I suppose I could skip on over to the Bova's and try em out. I haven't heard em though. But I was looking for a cheaper / new / local (awesome!) api alternative.. whadda ya think?

Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

tsw
steve albini likes it

Post by tsw » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:06 am

I'll be scorned and ridiculed, but I got a really nice kick sound a couple of weeks back using an old Presonus BlueTube. It's a particular kind of sound--kind of deliberately cheap--but it works great for what we were doing.

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Post by billiamwalker » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:50 pm

ajb wrote:I'll be scorned and ridiculed, but I got a really nice kick sound a couple of weeks back using an old Presonus BlueTube. It's a particular kind of sound--kind of deliberately cheap--but it works great for what we were doing.
i'm using a presonus firepod right now. but i'm mainly using it as an interface so i can run multiple channels at one time. i actually get really good sounds on it.

i've never researched it..but is it "studio legal" to run preamps in channels that have preamps in built into the interface?

tsw
steve albini likes it

Post by tsw » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:02 pm

billiamwalker wrote:i've never researched it..but is it "studio legal" to run preamps in channels that have preamps in built into the interface?
If I understand your question correctly, the answer is that it's not such a hot idea. A mic pre boosts mic signal up to line level, and to run line level into another mic pre (which is expecting to receive a mic level signal) is bad for your gear, if not your karma.

I could be totally wrong about that whole thing, but I don't think I am. Seems to me you'd definitely want to stick a line level signal into a hole that expects a line level signal.

Watch: Professor or someone else who actually knows what the hell he's talking about is gonna come in and just smoke me.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:34 pm

dynomike wrote:I have a hamptone jfet. I would not recommend it if you're thinking kick n snare... I'd rather have more headroom, api style. Plus its out of your price range. RNP would be a really good choice.

Joel I'm very tempted to grab some of those Sage pre's.. I live in Ottawa so I suppose I could skip on over to the Bova's and try em out. I haven't heard em though. But I was looking for a cheaper / new / local (awesome!) api alternative.. whadda ya think?

Mike
I think you would be really glad you bought some of their pre's. For real.

Tell them I said "HI" if you drop by....

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Post by billiamwalker » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:07 am

ajb wrote:
billiamwalker wrote:i've never researched it..but is it "studio legal" to run preamps in channels that have preamps in built into the interface?
If I understand your question correctly, the answer is that it's not such a hot idea. A mic pre boosts mic signal up to line level, and to run line level into another mic pre (which is expecting to receive a mic level signal) is bad for your gear, if not your karma.

I could be totally wrong about that whole thing, but I don't think I am. Seems to me you'd definitely want to stick a line level signal into a hole that expects a line level signal.

Watch: Professor or someone else who actually knows what the hell he's talking about is gonna come in and just smoke me.
haha. i've always thought about it and it seemed like it would bring some problems. i really hope it's possible though or else i'd have to purchase something else to run multiple channels and use preamps. but that's way later down the line.

LDT2
audio school graduate

Post by LDT2 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:25 am

"Ideally", you don't want a pre running into a another pre, but, if you keep the internal pre's level all the way down (hopefully it still passes sound) and maybe even pad the input (if necessary), it'll work fine and it shouldn't alter the sound noticably.

I've read manytimes that people have run high end pre's through lesser pre's with great results (to their surprise sometimes) and I've done it myself without problems.

Bottom line, give it a try and see.

Hope this helps,

Lucio