Door in corner of studio - bass traps

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Kasey
pushin' record

Door in corner of studio - bass traps

Post by Kasey » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:55 pm

I'm finally getting around to fixing up my room acoustically, and the first thing I'm putting in are bass traps; two LENRD's in each corner. My problem is one of the corners (the back left corner if I'm sitting at the mixing desk) has a door, so I cant put bass traps there. What would be the most effective thing to do? just not put bass traps there but still have them on the other back corner? put them there but cut a V out of the center so theyre there but the door can still open and close? I'm not sure what i should do. If i cut a V then i lose a bunch of bass absorption right?

goldstar
takin' a dinner break

Post by goldstar » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:35 pm

Can you put them at the wall/ceiling corner instead of the inside corner of the two walls? Should work there, too.

Frank

Kasey
pushin' record

Post by Kasey » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:46 pm

i could do that, but should i then put them in the top corner of the other back corner? and are they just as effective there as if they were in the corner vertically?

Cojonesonasteek
gettin' sounds

Post by Cojonesonasteek » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:13 am

We have a water heater closet in one corner of the control room and my partner devised a way to mount 4" 703 on frames in opposite corners; the frame on the closet door side was mounted on piano hinges to swing open when access to the water heater is needed. May not be a workable solution for you if the door in question has a lot of traffic.

bpape
gettin' sounds

Post by bpape » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:04 am

Either that or just build a gobo type absorber with no backing on it. That way, when you need it you can slide it across the corner and pull it out when you need to use the door.

As for the upper corners, they're just as good as the vertical ones.
I am serious, and don't call me Shirley

Room Design and Acoustical Analysis
www.gikacoustics.com