Joel, I've got to ask. About the sage preamp...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cenafria
audio school graduate

Joel, I've got to ask. About the sage preamp...

Post by cenafria » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:09 pm

I just found out about these here

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=32414

They look really good. The sound files on their web page sound great. Very clear transients like you say. I instantly thought about buying a couple. Then I noticed: No polarity switch!. How can you get around this, specially recording drums?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: Joel, I've got to ask. About the sage preamp...

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:01 pm

cenafria wrote:I just found out about these here

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=32414

They look really good. The sound files on their web page sound great. Very clear transients like you say. I instantly thought about buying a couple. Then I noticed: No polarity switch!. How can you get around this, specially recording drums?
I guess I dont freak out about it because I have "phase" buttons on my console, but usually with a pair of pre's, I dont find myself flipping the polarity at the pre very much... on kick and snare especially. Not on the pre anyway... I bet that Sage would put a polarity switch on yours, ask them. They are really nice!

I have many pre's without a polarity/phase button or switch.

tommy
steve albini likes it

Post by tommy » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:19 pm

No polarity switch!
You can make short polarity reverse cables very easily by switching the hot and cold wire on one end. Just be sure to label the cable.

klangtone
pushin' record

Post by klangtone » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:18 pm

slightly off subject, but would you consider these to be a "Neve" type of pre?

Roy
www.rarefiedrecording.com
"No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media,
and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful." -Kurt Vonnegut

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:11 pm

klangtone wrote:slightly off subject, but would you consider these to be a "Neve" type of pre?

Roy
No, not really. They remind me more of the less "famous" but equally amazing pre's from the heyday of Neve though, like original helios and trident "A" range stuff. Original, burly, discrete designs... Kind of like the "velocity" you get from any big, high headroom, class A design. The transient response feels better than any Neve pre I have ever used, and I worked in a room with an 8028 console loaded with all 1073's... I have worked on a variety of neve consoles, and the Sage's are something i would bring along with me to those rooms if only for kick and snare... Super fast, super high headroom (Sage claims "unclippable with any known microphone") and great discrete "gleam" in the top without abarasive toppiness....

I dislike trying to describe what mic pre's impart on any given signal as it is subjective and source dependent... But these pre's totally rock!

Email these people. You will be amazed at how killer the support is and even the overall demeanor of the people that work there. It is a family operation, and it shows in their amazing treatment of customers.

I amm 100000000% in love with all things Sage and will support them as much as possible. they have been amazing to me. WAY outside normal business relationships....

cenafria
audio school graduate

Post by cenafria » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:41 am

I only have polarity switches on my console preamps, not on the line inputs, which is a pain...

Phase reversed Bantams are what I use when the preamp doesn't have a phase switch, but I always grumble about "what were they thinking when they designed this thing". To me it's a major inconvenience.

It's good to know these folks might add polarity reverse if I ask them nicely...

Thanks for your answers.