Recommend a Mic Pre with Optical Out?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Roboburger
buyin' gear

Recommend a Mic Pre with Optical Out?

Post by Roboburger » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:20 pm

Y'know, I got a good thing going with my Layla and DBX 386 Combo. I run a four submix mixer into Layla 1-4, and then four outboard Pre's into 5-8, and then the DBX into the S/Pdif input. I do small time work in my studio, so typically, ten ins is all I need, and it keeps the options limited, which is a good thing on the level I'm typically working with. But every once in a while I wish I had another two inputs...

I don't have the Gravy on hand to pick up a Onyx 800, but I'm wondering what other Pre's -especially two channel- have optical digital output.

Yeah, I could get out the old ADAT, but then I still need Pre's- I actually have a second Layla that I'm gonna put up on ebay soon.

Another option would be to get another DBX 386, and one of them S/Pdif to lightpipe converter things...

Ideas, My Peers?
Audio Engineer Euphemism for going number two: "Rollin' off the Low End."

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:39 pm

ART Digital MPA has S/Pdif out. I'm using one of these and after re-tubing it sounds pretty good but it really screws with my wireless keyboard. Before that I had the original ART DPS. The MPA is not usually my goto mic pre though.

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:40 pm

i am in the same situation as you except I need either two or eight more channels. Anywyas look at the sm pro 8 mk II, its at 100 $,

then check black lion audio for the mod, it supposidly sounds amazing but I am still waiting for proof.

You will get eight extra channels for about 100$ plus mod.