Korg Kaoss Pad 2

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

steadybaker
audio school

Korg Kaoss Pad 2

Post by steadybaker » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:31 pm

I'm looking into the purchase of a Korg Kaoss Pad 2 for live guitar use. It's primarily designed for DJs so it doesn't have standard guitar pedal inputs and outputs. It has 1 PHONO INPUT (stereo RCA), 1 LINE INPUT (stereo RCA), 1 LINE OUTPUT (stereo RCA.), MIDI in and out, 1/4" headphone jack (w/ volume knob), and Mic input (w/ volume knob) for vocoder usage.

What do I need to do to convert my guitar signal from 1/4" to RCA? I know I can buy an adapter but does the signal lose juice? What about guitar signal strength compared to signal strength of a turn-table or other device intended for RCA output? Guitar signals are much lower correct? How do I boost my guitar without feeding excessive noise to my amplifier?

thanks

gsa
ass engineer

Post by gsa » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:59 pm

I use an original Kaoss Pad with my guitar all the time. I just use 1/4" to RCA adaptors. Signal fidelity is probably less-than-stellar, but if I'm using the Kaoss Pad in the first place I'm probably not really concerned about being an audiophile anyway. Sounds perfectly fine to me.

It's been a while since I've done it, but I think I go from the headphone-out to the amp instead of from the line-out.