Bad speaker in my amp - what to do?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

What to do with the bad speaker...

Repair it?
No votes
Replace it?
100%
Cut the cabinet down to create a head that can be used with different cabinets?
No votes

Total votes: 6

jspartz
buyin' gear

Bad speaker in my amp - what to do?

Post by jspartz » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:28 pm

Hey,

I just picked up a cool Sano BA-1 tube instrument amp. It has a single 15" woofer that is bad. Is it worth repairing the original woofer or just tossing it out and buying a new 15" woofer? My other thought was the cut the cabinet down and get rid of the speaker and just keep the head. I have a Music Man 15" cabinet that works well with it. This head sounds great with bass as well as my ES-330 and a distortion pedal. Anyway...

Any thoughts? What would Tape Op'ers do?

Jason

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:55 pm

Don't chop it up! If you don't have the money right now to replace it, you could always take the old speaker out and put one in when you get the cash.

A while ago I did some looking and it didn't save any money to repair the speaker, but I was looking at 12" Jensens. I don't know what the deal is with 15" speakers.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

Kyle Motor
takin' a dinner break

Post by Kyle Motor » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:07 pm

Could you put the 15" from the Music Man cab in there?

llamaj
takin' a dinner break

Post by llamaj » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:56 pm

what brand of speaker is it? if you cant tell
reply with the numbers around the frame and ill look them up to
see what kind it is. there should be a couple sets of numbers just keep them in the groups if you reply
some brands are obviously better/worth it than others

jspartz
buyin' gear

The number is...

Post by jspartz » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:24 am

The numbers off the speaker are as follows:

ME-15-80A and 67-7548

Let me know your thoughts... Thanks.

Jason

llamaj
takin' a dinner break

Post by llamaj » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:38 am

67 code, that is an eminence speaker. 1975 since the next two numbers are 75in. i like my eminence 12's in my twin but if i had to replace them id probably buy new ones since they are one of the most inexpensive brands of speaker out there. probably the best quality for the money. that may be what you have in the music man also check those numbers

philbo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by philbo » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:42 pm

I'd put in a JBL or EV replacement, because cheap speakers (amazingly enough) sound cheap.
Tangent Studios

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:41 pm

If you ever make it up to the Twin Cities, bring the woofer to Metro Sound in St Paul, and see if they can fix it. Plus, you might get a chance to talk with the one and only Bill Batson of Hypstrz/Mofos fame.

Or, just order a new 15", get the old one fixed, and you have a spare.

Don't chop your amp. That'll destroy the resale value.

Rivers
gettin' sounds

Post by Rivers » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:06 pm

Get a new speaker.
Check out Weber speakers..great stuff and good prices plus a whole slew of different tonal options.
Smell the Magic.
www.katp.com

llamaj
takin' a dinner break

Post by llamaj » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:41 am

philbo wrote:I'd put in a JBL or EV replacement, because cheap speakers (amazingly enough) sound cheap.
I dont totally agree with this. Audio playback/monitoring/hifi yes i agree.
IME with guitar and bass speakers its not the case. it more about personal taste and what you are going for. Its also dependent on what guitar/bass and amp combo goes before the speaker.
I like EV and JBL .both are great speakers. Weber speakers are my favorite right now becasue what you get for your money.
eminence is the biggest speaker manufacturer in the world. they can afford to charge less. they come stock in almost every amp these days. they are probably not worth reconing since for a little more you could buy a new one
one of my favorite speakers was a japanese copy of celestion 30 watt. but I just had to have the celestion 30 watt so i bought some new to replace the copies in my 4x12. Guess which ones sounded better. Again its all about taste. some people like the sound of a torn speaker.
its a mental game when it comes to price. If you dont pay enough sometimes you dont think youve got the best. some companies wouldnt even be in business without this factor.