Whisper Room

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

daysleeper
pluggin' in mics

Whisper Room

Post by daysleeper » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:05 pm

Does anyone have first hand experience using a Whisper Room iso booth? I have found a 4'x6' booth used for $1,800, and I am not sure if I should buy it.

My studio is 850 sqft, all one room, and I want to be able to record a really loud guitar or bass while tracking drums at the same time. Is the Whisper Room sound proofed enough for this? If I don't buy the Whisper Room, I will build an Iso booth from scratch.

Thanks for you opinions.

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Re: Whisper Room

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:05 pm

daysleeper wrote:Does anyone have first hand experience using a Whisper Room iso booth? I have found a 4'x6' booth used for $1,800, and I am not sure if I should buy it.

My studio is 850 sqft, all one room, and I want to be able to record a really loud guitar or bass while tracking drums at the same time. Is the Whisper Room sound proofed enough for this? If I don't buy the Whisper Room, I will build an Iso booth from scratch.

Thanks for you opinions.
I say build it yourself, and buy something cool. Does the room have any acoustic treatment? I dunno, sounds like you don't mind building, and an iso room is something I'd rather build than buy. Your amps must go to 11?
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

RockyTCR
gettin' sounds

Post by RockyTCR » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:02 pm

The Whisper Room booths are a joke, might as well hang a blanket up and pray. Some might be better than others but the ones you put together and tear down do nothing.

Just build something yourself

daysleeper
pluggin' in mics

Post by daysleeper » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:49 pm

Thanks for the opinions. I have decided to build one myself. I had a studio owner friend of mine come down to my space, and help me draw up plans. maybe I'll post pics when I'm done.

If anyone else is wondering, I asked around a lot about the whisper rooms and NOBODY had anything good to say about them.

BTW, yes the amps need to go to 11.

E Baxter Put
audio school graduate

Whisper Room

Post by E Baxter Put » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:24 am

Yeah... I used a whisper room for a couple of years. We used to joke that the only sound that it could keep out of the booth was a whisper. It was cramped, ugly, and had bad ventilation. The talent always hated it.