RE20 as a pepper shaker

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

RE20 as a pepper shaker

Post by workshed » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:11 pm

I just got a very well-used RE20 off of eBay for a pretty decent price. It showed up today and does work (but not until I mistakenly twisted and broke the wires off the XLR jack and had to re-solder them, like a true master of brilliance), but two problems:

a) If I shake it, it sounds like a pepper shaker and small, black flakes fall out through the grille. I'm guessing it's old foam that is disintegrating. Correct? Or is there something else I should be aware of?

b) The phrase "used in a smoke-free studio" most definitely does not apply here. What's the best way to clean/air one of these out? I don't want to assault singers and voiceover folks with a barrage of cigarette smoke laden stench. At least, not from the microphone.

Also, how about refinishing/repainting? What would be the recommended paint? Worth it? Stupid idea?

-Bret

Garthplinko
gettin' sounds

well...

Post by Garthplinko » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:22 pm

<joke>Oh it sounds like you have the "black pepper mod" done to your mic - you got an awesome deal man! The sound of the pepper really makes everything "warm" and "punchy."</joke>

<serious>Actually a pal gave me a NOT working RE20 - and when I shook it, it pretty much what you're describing - the rattle. I sent it in to Telex and for 180 I got what may as well be a brand new RE20. Might be worth investigating. Send me a message if you need contact information.

As far as airing it out/getting the smell out - I have no suggestions. Seal it in a box when it's not being used w/ potpourri or something else good smelling. Maybe try cleaning the outside w/ an electronics friendly cleaning product in an aerosol can...I think Endust makes something like that.</serious>

<semi-serious and sarcastic at the same time> I wouldn't try repainting it - everyone KNOWS that the older "vintage" RE20s sound WAY better than the new ones...(and of course you should tout it as such so you can up your rates and cred)</semi-serious and sarcastic at the same time>
"Just because you don't like it don't mean it ain't no good."

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:29 pm

I got an RE20 from an old radio station a few years ago, it was non working & sheding the same black foam....I sent it in to EV & to my amazement the diaphram was covered under their lifetime warrenty. I paid them about $30.00 to replace the foam including shipping!!!!! Now THATS CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:50 pm

Thanks for the responses... I sent EV Mic Service an e-mail to see what they charge to replace the foam on one of these suckers. I agree, the scratched up surface does lend it some vintage credibility!

Edit: unfortunately, it does nothing for my own credibility. :?

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:37 pm

I've got one with a broken shelf switch, it's frozen. anybody ever fix this one?

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:13 pm

I'll warn you now, if you need to get it repaired by a professional don't send it to Electrovoice / Telex. Do a search on here and you'll read about my adventures with a broken PL20 that they wanted 300 dollars to fix....

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:54 am

A good piece of gear is always worth repairing properly, and as far as the smell goes:

Use a tiny bit of listerine on the grill. Put the listerine on the paper towel (duh) and then wipe down the whole mic. Put a silica gel thingy in the case after that to get rid of any moisture in the box. Should help after time... Repeat if it is really stinky. The old crappy foam holds the smell really, so if you get that replaced you should be fine.

This goes for any microphone....

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:10 am

For what it's worth, I got a response from Telex today, outlining the repair process. It does look pricey, enough so that if I paid the full repair amount, new casing included, this mic would end up costing me about $75 more than a new one after what I've already paid for it. I'm going to see if they will just replace the foam and not run any other tests. A potential $225 minimum repair is way more than I can afford right now.
Telex Rep wrote:We would not recommend trying to replace the foam yourself. The repair rate for the RE-20 is $50.00 labor plus parts and shipping. An estimate would automatically be issued if the cost of repair exceeds $225.00, otherwise we would proceed with the repair and contact you when complete. The average repair for the RE-20 is approximately $215.00, this includes replacing the acoustic element, the foam inserts, and running an acoustic response curve to make sure it meets new specs. If the acoustic element is still functioning within specs your repair cost would be reduced by $150.00. We also offer a case refurb for an extra $50.00, we would recase the mic and your RE-20 would come back looking like new. I have attached a repair information form, please fill out and send in the box with the mic. Please let us know if you have any questions.

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:13 am

Thanks, Joel! That's the kind of tip I was hoping for on cleaning the casing.

Silly Anecdotal Reference: I saw Pele (the band, of course) play several years ago, and their sound tech or roadie was up on stage scrubbing all the mics with listerine and a toothbrush before they played, which i thought was funny since they were an instrumental band. But I always wondered about the listerine thing.

joel hamilton wrote:A good piece of gear is always worth repairing properly, and as far as the smell goes:

Use a tiny bit of listerine on the grill. Put the listerine on the paper towel (duh) and then wipe down the whole mic. Put a silica gel thingy in the case after that to get rid of any moisture in the box. Should help after time... Repeat if it is really stinky. The old crappy foam holds the smell really, so if you get that replaced you should be fine.

This goes for any microphone....

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:59 pm

The foam is nothing too special, the work is the hard part.

Telex sent me the foam inserts, and after an hour of Black Belt Ninja level disassembly experiments I got it open, cleaned, and refoamed successfully. Not at all for the non-mechanically minded, AND I had the exploded parts view to look at while doing it. Mine was a pre-1991 version, which appears to have a few internal assembly differences from the later.

The side foam condom is the standard thin open cell stuff, the front foam I received was a larger cell stiffer type. Fairly thick, and I guess larger cell for more openings for high frequencies to flow through.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:07 pm

Don't want to hijack this thread, but speaking of the RE-20, how does it compare to the Shure SM7? If you had to pick one between the two, which and why?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:12 pm

pk wrote:Don't want to hijack this thread, but speaking of the RE-20, how does it compare to the Shure SM7? If you had to pick one between the two, which and why?
SM7, for sure. I have a couple of SM7's and one RE20, and I havent pulled the RE20 out of its nice case in like a year. The SM7's get used all the time. The SM7 can record everything pretty well, and a BUNCH of stuff really well. The RE20 is okay on kick, pretty great on bass cabs, and passable on certain vocals. Actually, the thing is, any reasonably "pro" microphone also fits these descriptions. I just like the way the SM7 "hears" stuff...

Bear's Gone Fission
gettin' sounds

Post by Bear's Gone Fission » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:17 pm

Been there on the foam. Rough part is it was a PL-10 which is a "legacy product" now. I prevailed on them to send me some foam for free and my mic is itself again. My saga of the foam is here: http://mojopie.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1682

Bear

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:30 pm

I love the SM7. I think I like the RE20 pretty well too, but haven't had as much mileage on it. I've noticed more problem spots with the SM7; spots where it just doesn't work at all. Like trying to use 2 mics on 1 gtr cab always sounds like dick with 1 being an sm7 - like there's an off axis phase issue because the sm7 don't play nice with other mics in same duty nearby. It's the one mic guaranteed to sound broken on certain singers also; like you're out changing all the cables since you think something's REALLY wrong. Not just that it doesn't sound best. Though usually it DOES sound best. weird.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:37 am

emrr wrote:I love the SM7. I think I like the RE20 pretty well too, but haven't had as much mileage on it. I've noticed more problem spots with the SM7; spots where it just doesn't work at all. Like trying to use 2 mics on 1 gtr cab always sounds like dick with 1 being an sm7 - like there's an off axis phase issue because the sm7 don't play nice with other mics in same duty nearby. It's the one mic guaranteed to sound broken on certain singers also; like you're out changing all the cables since you think something's REALLY wrong. Not just that it doesn't sound best. Though usually it DOES sound best. weird.
I apologize for continuing the hijack, but it's possible that you get the phase issues because the actual diaphragm in the SM7 is set way back from the front of the grille. Essentially, you would have phase issues unless you pull the second mic a few inches back from where the front of the SM7 is. Taking the foam off the SM7 makes it easier to see where the diaphragm is.

Roger