How do I become registered with All Music Guide etc?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

i am monster face
buyin' gear

How do I become registered with All Music Guide etc?

Post by i am monster face » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:44 am

Hi.
I was looking through the www.allmusic.com and saw a number of albums that I have either worked on as an assistant engineer or have done the whole nine yards as engineer/production. A few bigger indie labels and some very small labels. In none of them am I credited on All Music.

For example - a band I mixed and did production work on has a credit list consisting of nothing but;
Dave Gardner - Mastering - (he's an incredible mastering engineer, by the way)

However, I searched their website and registered with their normal services, sent them an e-mail, and got no reply. Are the labels in charge of this or is it up to me?

I just figured I'm out of luck till I do some real noteworthy stuff. But I'd still like to get credit.

Ian

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:30 am

Interesting question (which I cannot help answer)

The amg has an amazing amount of power over the music world. I wonder what their criteria are. I end up there at least twice a month when I am stumped on some music trivia question. What is interesting is that most of the reviews are written by just two or three people.

The books are indispensable, btw.

Anyway, good luck infiltrating the guides!

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:37 am

Thanks for the reply. I'll let everyone know once I figure it out.

Ian

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:04 am

same thing here.

Ive got about 8 or 9 records properly credited, but there are about 6 or 7 that are listed but without credit, and a couple that are credited incorrectly. One of them credits only the AE.

I sent an email about 4 months ago and there is no reply.

oh well. no big deal. im probably the only one checking on myself anyhow. im so vain.

mike

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:06 am

A few months ago I tried to get one of my engineering credits listed by clicking on the "Corrections to this Entry?" button. I put the info in, but it still hasn't shown up on the web page and I haven't heard anything from them.

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:10 am

Phiz wrote:A few months ago I tried to get one of my engineering credits listed by clicking on the "Corrections to this Entry?".
yeah, that's what i did. and when it asked for "proof" that my claim was true, i said that it's written on the damn record.

rydaken
pushin' record

Post by rydaken » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:22 am

I've had the same problems with AMG. They corrected one credit, but it took a lot of emails. Records have come out since that I am credited on the album, but not on AMG. I have all but given up on them. The worst is that my name is Ryan and "Bryan" is getting my credits. Oh well.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Re: How do I become registered with All Music Guide etc?

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:27 am

i am monster face wrote:Hi.
I was looking through the www.allmusic.com and saw a number of albums that I have either worked on as an assistant engineer or have done the whole nine yards as engineer/production. A few bigger indie labels and some very small labels. In none of them am I credited on All Music.

For example - a band I mixed and did production work on has a credit list consisting of nothing but;
Dave Gardner - Mastering - (he's an incredible mastering engineer, by the way)

However, I searched their website and registered with their normal services, sent them an e-mail, and got no reply. Are the labels in charge of this or is it up to me?

I just figured I'm out of luck till I do some real noteworthy stuff. But I'd still like to get credit.

Ian
Ian good question, I haven't solved this yet either. My full discography is on my website and what AMG has up is incomplete at best. Somehow, every mastering engineer I work with gets their credit, but not my credits.

The record companies submit copies to AMG for addition to their database. Their database serves many, many retail sites on the internet. I have heard it is up to the record companies to recommend what information gets added.

It is exceptionally difficult to get a hold of anyone at AMG and they are based out of Ann Arbor, Michigan. Even in submitting the records from my label, Third Monk Records, AMG ignores the information- which makes me think there is some 'union' or 'musicians union' or 'aftra' or something at work there, but I don't know.

Joel Hamilton and I had a previous discussion about this on the old board. It is a weird one. Material should also be submitted to MUZE which does the same thing, but for less companies than AMG. Again though, no real contact information is available. It would be nice to have a comprehensive list.

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:33 am

Jeff Robinson wrote: Joel Hamilton and I had a previous discussion about this on the old board.
The old thread can be found here.

jmoose
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by jmoose » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:13 am

The short answer is that it's nearly impossible to get AMG to update & correct listings unless you have an actual inside contact. I don't know what the rhyme or reason behind their listings is and I don't know if they know either!

:lol:

I gave up trying a few years ago...there are bigger things for me to worry about. Yeah it would be great to have everything listed out but whatever...
J. 'Moose' Kahrs
mixer|producer|audio engineer
www.mooseaudio.net

www.oxidelounge.com

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:18 pm

This has been buging me as well. My old band Minus, which sold a total of about 200 records, is listed there, but our listing also includes the albums from the Icelandic Metal band of the same name. My current band has sold a few thousand discs and tours all over the place (we're currently in Colorado), and has no mention on AMG, despite that fact that I sent our discs and press materials to the same writer credited with the Minus listing. Also, as an individual, I'm credited with mastering a couple of low-profile jazz discs, but other discs I've worked on that are listed don't mention me, even though I had a larger role in producing them. I tried a while ago to correct the listings, but it never seemed to get through.

I use AMG constantly as a resource, and for anything up untill about 1995, it seems pretty authorative. For anything newer, it seems pretty hit and miss.

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:06 pm

Somehow, every mastering engineer I work with gets their credit, but not my credits.
I'm credited "Mastered at Massive Mastering" so often that I gave up a long time ago. AMG has me listed on *maybe* a dozen records... Even the ones where I'm on it properly, I don't show.
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

robmix
pluggin' in mics

Post by robmix » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:22 pm

Jeff Robinson wrote: The record companies submit copies to AMG for addition to their database. Their database serves many, many retail sites on the internet. I have heard it is up to the record companies to recommend what information gets added.

It is exceptionally difficult to get a hold of anyone at AMG and they are based out of Ann Arbor, Michigan. Even in submitting the records from my label, Third Monk Records, AMG ignores the information- which makes me think there is some 'union' or 'musicians union' or 'aftra' or something at work there, but I don't know.

Joel Hamilton and I had a previous discussion about this on the old board. It is a weird one. Material should also be submitted to MUZE which does the same thing, but for less companies than AMG. Again though, no real contact information is available. It would be nice to have a comprehensive list.
I've never submitted anything to them and don't know anyone at a major label who has done so yet they've listed many of my credits. They've also missed about half of them and have me confused with three other people. I've tried emailing them for 5 years now and have never received a reply. It could have been an amazing resource but instead it's just a half-ass database. I just can't believe the number of errors on most listings. Plus the change in the website allowing only registered users access to certain info was a bad call.

Not too mention their reviews are for sh*t !!!!!!!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:27 pm

I have no idea how that thing works.
Just when I thought I did, it changed.
They have a picture of some big guy playing bass with big glasses on that is certainly not me, but his name I guess is joel hamilton... Our credits are totally mixed up.

Emailing them makes no difference, it seems. I dont even know what that listing is supposed to be for? Are they selling something?

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Post by jmiller » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:13 am

At least your name isn't the same as the guy who played Ben on Growing Pains.

I worked on tons of sessions the last year and a half, and only ONE is on AMG. Kind of a drag when your studio shuts down and you're looking for work and don't want people to think you're full of shit :evil: