Mounting 2' x 4' panels on corner?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Rolsen
steve albini likes it

Mounting 2' x 4' panels on corner?

Post by Rolsen » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:02 am

Just bought me a bunch of John Mansville 814, 2? rigid fiberglass (a supposed equivalent to owens 703) and plan to mount to ?? plywood and wrap in some attractive fabric. Plan to do the stock room treatment ? 2? broadband panels on walls, 4? panels straddling corners (including wall-to-ceiling corners).

My question: what?s the best way to mount 2? x 4? panels to corners? Hang from ceiling?

philbo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by philbo » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:47 am

Depends.

If you want maximum bass trapping (assuming that's why you are hanging them in the corner), you could simply frame them in a 4" wide thin veneer frame and wrap the whole thing in a non-ugly cloth, then hang it by small eye bolts. You want a firm mechanical contact to the walls (not loose enough to rattle). Let it straddle the corner so the back is open to the air, which will increase bass absorption.

For the wall panels (i.e., don't have to be open in the back, since it's against the wall anyway), you could make it more versatile by covering one side with marlite (whiteboard stuff), then suspend them from cables from the ceiling. This way you can get their absorption effect by putting the absorber side out, or flop them over to keep the room more live.
________
JUGGALOS
Last edited by philbo on Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:02 pm

you do not want to cover an entire side with plywood. the front and back need to be left open so that the panel can flex and absorb moving air molecules.

mike

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:23 pm

Michael Gregory Bridavsky wrote:you do not want to cover an entire side with plywood. the front and back need to be left open so that the panel can flex and absorb moving air molecules.

mike
I flexed and absorbed last night.

Rolsen
steve albini likes it

Post by Rolsen » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:42 pm

I answered my own damn question!

http://www.realtraps.com/placing_mt.htm

However, any additional comments are appreciated! I was pricing some 1/4 inch material I could use to mount the 703 (equivalent), and damn is plywood expensive these days - $20 for a 4' x 8' sheet of shitty stuff, almost double for good stuff. There was some dense cardboard-like material, but that wasn't much cheaper. These prices are from Home Depot, Tacoma, WA.

logey
gettin' sounds

Post by logey » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:49 pm

Rolsen wrote:I answered my own damn question!

damn is plywood expensive these days - $20 for a 4' x 8' sheet of shitty stuff, almost double for good stuff. There was some dense cardboard-like material, but that wasn't much cheaper. These prices are from Home Depot, Tacoma, WA.
I was making the same comment to a contractor the other day and he told me it was because we are currently shipping so much plywood to Iraq! Yet another way we are paying for this mess.

So where did you aquire the 703 equivalent? I haven't been able to find 703 in Seattle...I was told that Roxul rockwool was roughly the same thing. Is the product you found made of rock wool or is it rigid fiberglass?

Thanks.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:01 pm

logey wrote:
Rolsen wrote:I answered my own damn question!

damn is plywood expensive these days - $20 for a 4' x 8' sheet of shitty stuff, almost double for good stuff. There was some dense cardboard-like material, but that wasn't much cheaper. These prices are from Home Depot, Tacoma, WA.
I was making the same comment to a contractor the other day and he told me it was because we are currently shipping so much plywood to Iraq! Yet another way we are paying for this mess.

So where did you aquire the 703 equivalent? I haven't been able to find 703 in Seattle...I was told that Roxul rockwool was roughly the same thing. Is the product you found made of rock wool or is it rigid fiberglass?

Thanks.
hey dude, there's this place in woodinville that totally freakin rocks.. fuck , what is it called.. R-Factor. Totally nice people, knew exactly what i was trying to do.. made a big difference when i called them and they were nice, the other places i called had some serious dickfaces answering the phones... I thought i knew what i wanted but they suggested some other things and I went with Roxul RHT 80. 3 packages, six sheets per package for $85.00-$90.00. Plus it was a pretty drive to woodinville, i had never been there and stopped at the huge molbacks nusery as well.

here is R-Factors # (425)488-7600

the Roxul RHT 80 had to be ordered so call them first before driving out there.

http://www.roxul.com/sw34374.asp

and the acoustic coefficients can be found here..
http://www1.roxul.com/graphics/RX-NA/ca ... mittal.pdf

logey
gettin' sounds

Post by logey » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:36 pm

trodden wrote:
hey dude, there's this place in woodinville that totally freakin rocks.. fuck , what is it called.. R-Factor. Totally nice people, knew exactly what i was trying to do.. made a big difference when i called them and they were nice, the other places i called had some serious dickfaces answering the phones... I thought i knew what i wanted but they suggested some other things and I went with Roxul RHT 80. 3 packages, six sheets per package for $85.00-$90.00. Plus it was a pretty drive to woodinville, i had never been there and stopped at the huge molbacks nusery as well.

here is R-Factors # (425)488-7600

the Roxul RHT 80 had to be ordered so call them first before driving out there.

http://www.roxul.com/sw34374.asp

and the acoustic coefficients can be found here..
http://www1.roxul.com/graphics/RX-NA/ca ... mittal.pdf
Thanks Trodden,
I think thats the same place I contacted, I just haven't managed to get out there yet. Its good to hear that they're nice and were hip to what you were doing. So how does the Roxul work...is it doing the trick? Are you spanning the corners or doing the mega-trap thing where you cut them into triangles and fill the corner?

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:41 pm

yeah it seems to be working! I'm spanning the corners, however i'm going to double decker them this weekend and make it 4" thick rather than 2" and build some more to hang on the walls to cut down on some crazy reflections in my basement. My ceilings are only 7 ft 5 inches so i have the stuff hanging 2'' off the ceiling above the drum area as well. That made hella difference in my drum sounds.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:42 pm

You're welcome to come by my place this weekend if you'd like to check out what i'm doing.

logey
gettin' sounds

Post by logey » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:57 pm

Thanks, but I'm out of town this wknd...let me know how it works out.