Shoegazers in Oly

GrizzlyAtom
studio intern

Shoegazers in Oly

Post by GrizzlyAtom » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:45 pm

Hello, I'm looking for musicians/knob twiddlers/pedal addicts in Olympia to form a shoegaze-rock project. I like the swirlies, broken social scene, swervedriver, all natural lemon & lime, etc. If interested email: electrictickle@yahoo.com Thanks!

ottokbre
deaf.

Re: Shoegazers in Oly

Post by ottokbre » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:09 pm

find me a place to move to and I'm there!

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:52 pm

ottokbre wrote:find me a place to move to and I'm there!
me too

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:12 pm

GrizzlyAtom wrote:Hello, I'm looking for musicians/knob twiddlers/pedal addicts in Olympia to form a shoegaze-rock project. I like the swirlies, broken social scene, swervedriver, all natural lemon & lime, etc. If interested email: electrictickle@yahoo.com Thanks!
those are really awesome tastes, by the way!

GrizzlyAtom
studio intern

Post by GrizzlyAtom » Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:54 am

bluepxl wrote:
Well thank you very much! You'd think in a town like Olympia there would be a ton of musicians with similar tastes, but not so. If you don't play twee-pop/noisy folk stuff or jam band hippy music, you're shit out of luck. I just gotta keep on tryin!

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:58 am

GrizzlyAtom wrote:
bluepxl wrote:
You'd think in a town like Olympia there would be a ton of musicians with similar tastes, but not so. If you don't play twee-pop/noisy folk stuff or jam band hippy music, you're shit out of luck.

:rofl: which is what all my old oly freinds played!

yeah, i agree, that is a rad list.

loudmusic
steve albini likes it

Post by loudmusic » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:50 pm

HI. I'm in Ahtens GA with the same freaking problem.

I love the swirlies, I love swervedriver, I play everything, I have several multitrack machines, good mics, decent outboard gear, AND GREAT FUCKING EARS. Totally, they look awesome on my head people say.

Why don't you move to Athens? It's cheaper and warmer, and there are AT LEAST as many fake scenester dickwads as in Olympia.

On your side,
Marty

loudmusic
steve albini likes it

Post by loudmusic » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:53 pm

HI. I'm in Ahtens GA with the same freaking problem.

I love the swirlies, I love swervedriver, I play everything, I have several multitrack machines, good mics, decent outboard gear, AND GREAT FUCKING EARS. Totally, they look awesome on my head people say.

Why don't you move to Athens? It's cheaper and warmer, and there are AT LEAST as many fake scenester dickwads as in Olympia.

On your side,
Marty

GrizzlyAtom
studio intern

Post by GrizzlyAtom » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:59 pm

loudmusic wrote:HI. I'm in Ahtens GA with the same freaking problem.

On your side,
Marty
I feel your pain! I have a total love/hate relationship going on with Olympia at the moment, thats starting to lean heavily in the hate direction. Oly has an extremely supportive artistic community that is all about new music, new art, anything creative. The problem is this town is so clickish that if you're not part of the "community" nobody gives two shits who you are. You could be the most talented musician in town, but if you're not down at the Voyeur every night schmoozing with the hipsters you're out of luck. I guess its probably like that in every town with a decent music "scene". Athens sounds pretty similar. I had considered moving there for a while, but being that I grew up in Lake Charles, Louisiana, I high-tailed it out of the deep south the first chance I got. Good Luck!!

loudmusic
steve albini likes it

Post by loudmusic » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:12 pm

I am stuck here for one more year til my wife finishes up her degree. The south. I'm really sorry to the nice people I've met here, but I pretty much HATE it all the time. Maybe I'm just homesick?

In Athens, it seems like the people who run the place have forgotten (or never knew, why the town became "famous". There is not much REAL that goes on here. It's ALL attempts to pull off a certain "sound". I am trying to find the people who don't fucking care about any BAR, or Music Mag Writer. This place is so small, I have seen bands that tried flipping off the "establishment" get smacked down by the local critics.. and relegated to a inside joke. There is a suffocating attitude of "don't you know who I am?". Who the fuck are you? Some chick/dude that works at the Grit... plays in a completely predictable, totally stealing, dumb named band? Big fucking deal. I sometimes run into my amp and knock it over because the music makes me. You wouldn't understand.

Those of you who do, help me out.
Marty

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:17 pm

hey loud, i'll be there in a month. we can have a beer and talk about it.
seattle is the same way.

loudmusic
steve albini likes it

Post by loudmusic » Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:57 pm

I'm buying.

Just let me know when you'll be here.

Martin

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:07 am

martin, i was just in atlanta (roswell to be exact) picking up a console. i wish i knew you were in ga, cause i totally would have tried to gone a little further to athens to hang out a day, make some music. i love hanging out with people who create and who want to hang out in order to make music.

as a matter of fact, the way you guys have described your local scenes sounds just like houston too. except the problem with houston, is houston doesn't even have its own scene it has created. not even a unique scene. just a bunch of rockers who want to be the strokes. a whole lot of that crap everywhere you go. and everyone knows everyone, and they act like they are so elite and bad ass. they act like they are on the edge of the future or something.

wake up, you live in houston. you're nothing new, nothing special.

the worst thing going around (probably like this anywhere), is small talk. i hate the "hey, we should start a band" and when people just TALK about creating music. TALK TALK TALK. that's all they ever do... when it comes to doing something, they never do it. i've had friends who wanted to do music, so i show up at their house with some instruments ready to write songs, and they are suddenly "busy". i almost have to force people to do something, what on earth is their problem? people talk about how cool it'd be to be in a band making music, so why not DO IT? it's lame.

there has only been about two bands in houston that i know were truly doing their own thing and doing it really well. oh and don't forget jandek. one band, with a relaxing shoegazerish sound similar to slowdive, needed a drummer. i tried out, and we had a great musical connection-- or so i thought. apparently later they didn't want me in their band on the grounds i was "too young", from what i heard from someone who knew them (i guess they didn't want to tell me themselves). i dunno if it's true, but if it is, that's pretty stupid. at the time, i was 18, they were 21. wow, big age difference. :roll:

but anyway, regardless of everything, i kinda like the south. i've lived here my whole life, and eventually grew a hatred towards houston, texas, south, etc. but then i began to see the beauty and charm in certain things. and plus i like hot weather, screw that cold crap.

but screw it all... i want to move to brazil. now that is truly the south worth living in.

loudmusic
steve albini likes it

Post by loudmusic » Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:03 am

Blue,

What the frick is the big deal about Brazil?

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:43 am

loudmusic wrote:Blue,

What the frick is the big deal about Brazil?
weather, beaches. that's all. don't know much about the country or people. i just like great weather and great beaches that isn't california. that a crime?