Advice on a super-long cable run

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MechaGodzilla
gettin' sounds

Advice on a super-long cable run

Post by MechaGodzilla » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:25 am

As a result of some reorginization, our plate reverb is getting moved to a room about 150 feet away from the control room, and I need to run wires to it in a few days.
Is there anything I should be taking into account when running cables that far? I was just planning on getting some Mogami wire or something, but that's expensive, and I don't know if it's the right choice.

So, to summarize:
EMT 140 - mono in, stereo out
150 feet away from the control room (at least)
What's the best way to wire it?

Discuss!

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:15 pm

Well, I'd assume you are sending line-level out and back given that it's a reverb unit, and I'll assume that everything is already running balanced since EMTs have XLR I/O and you're probably already using those.
I'd say that from there the only question would be whether you are in a hostile environment for audio like a location that is saturated in RF as is quite possible in Seattle, or maybe you'll be passing some intense A/C power lines. And while larger wire gauges will make a difference, we're talking 22 or 20 or maybe 18-AWG here as an ideal.
If you go with multi-core snake wire then your choices are pretty much to go with twisted pair in a foil shield or in a braided shield, or mini star-quad in a foil shield or a braided shield. And chances are it will come down to cost vs. quality because the braided star-quad lines will be more expensive and the best at defending you against RF and AC. If the RF/AC situation is friendly because the cables are running through a metal conduit or duct down the center of your building, then maybe something like a thicker gauge single channel foil wrapped line like a Belden 18/2 JS from their 'future logic' line would work.
I'd suggest a little trip over to Westlake Electronic Supply downtown, they are on Westlake Ave. a few blocks north of Denny and a few south of Guitar Center, and they should have nearly anything you need in-stock. They do more Canare and Belden than Mogami, but that's alright because for permanent install you'll likely want the braided shields from those guys rather than the wrapped shields of Mogami. If you don't already know those guys, you should, because they are the Pacific NW distributors for Canare, Belden, Middle Atlantic, Neutrik, Swtichcraft, RDL, and lots of other goodies.

Oh, and you might benefit later from running more channels than you need now. I can't say for certain, but if there is a possibility of later getting other processing components to live in that room like maybe an AKG spring unit or even a second plate, it seems like running 8-channels in a snake now is easier than running four more channels again next year.

-Jeremy

MechaGodzilla
gettin' sounds

Post by MechaGodzilla » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:46 am

Right - it's running balanced, XLR connectors, and hardwired to an SSL patchbay. The building is basically a treehouse, though, so there's no convenient conduits. There's a few spots, but for the most part this is just going to be anchored to the rafters.

So, thicker guage the better, and go for a braided shield?
I guess 150 feet really isn't too far, but aside from RF noise, do I need to worry about any other signal degradation? Am I going to lose any hi-end?

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:41 pm

Just wanted to put another good word in for Westlake Electronics Supply. I bumped into it after waiting for Banjo Mart to open one friday morning... I ended up buying bulk cable there for mic and speaker and didn't return to banjo mart for cables like originally planned. Nice people working there, good stock.