Moisture!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Moisture!

Post by mingus2112 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:55 am

Well. . .it's been two years+ since i've been in my current location. What have I learned about controling my space? NOTHING. . .well, next to nothing. I've learned the right place to put my desk/monitors so I don't have weird bass or phasing issues and i've learned that the humidy in the room is impossibly crappy!

What do i mean by that? In the winter time it can get down to 10%-15%. In the summer it can get as high as 60% to 70%. It's a basement, I know, but that's a pretty big difference. Now that it's more humid out, though, i've discovered a major issue. Near the front wall of the house the humidity is a good 10%+ more humid than the other side of the room!! I assume that is because there's exposed brick (which is probably mounted directly to unsealed cement!). I guess the original owner thought this looked nice. . .whatever. Anyhow, i'm renting the house so I can't tear down the brick and seal the cement. Is there anything I can put up in front of it to absorb moisture? Anyone else have this problem?

I tried a dehumidifier last summer, but the problem was that it blew out hot air. That's not really bearable in the summer time. The humidity goes down (a little) but now it's 85+ degrees.

Anyone got any suggestions? My guitars are all crying. They need your help! (not to mention the amps that I kept against that brick wall last summer that grew mold!)

-James

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:07 am

You could try portable air conditioners:

http://www.homedepot.com - search on Internet item 168503

These have exhaust hoses that maybe you can port out to a window or vent.

As for the conventional humidifiers, I've found that you can run them while you're not there, and that should be enough (unless you have actual flooding or standing water problems, humidity doesn't increase that rapidly). Now, if you're there 24/7, that's different (plus, you need some sunshine!)
Last edited by kayagum on Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:29 am

an air conditioner will dehumidify but cool..is that an option?

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:05 am

yes that's an option. . .especially since the humid times are mostly in the summer! the problem is that the windows in the basement can't be opened. The only place I can drain an air conditioner is on the other side of the basement (in another room in the sink).

Decisions Decisions. . .

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:58 am

I hate to say it, but you can store your guitars somewhere else in the house like....that extra room you're about to have...?! i know you prolly want everything in the same space...and that doesnt solve your problem.

can you get a big bucket and drain either your dehumidifier or your non-existing-as-yet portable AC unit into that and then just dump it out the back door when the need arises? just an idea....
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:05 am

There's no room to store my guitars in that other room. Even with the desk out of there there's not enough room. . .yucky

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:17 am

If it's a building flaw that's really causing the problem, maybe you can talk to your landlord about options. I know that's a longshot... but hey, at least you don't live here in Louisiana (the free outdoor sauna).

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:19 am

talking to the landlord about building improvement opens up the raising the rent debate. we're not paying a lot right now and, i guess, you get what you pay for. I'd rather kick in a little extra and get a dedicated space. . .i just can't afford it right now.

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:33 am

I think you need to find a new space. As I recall, this isn't the first time you've queried the board about space issues.

IMHO, spend your energy looking for a better space instead of making an unworkable space workable, especially if you're not willing or able to afford the improvements. You'll be much happier in the even-not-so-long-haul.

Good luck!

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:44 am

I don't think i've queried the board about space issues before? I could be wrong though. . .but another space isn't really an option. I can't afford $1000+ a month to get an actual recording space. The studio is now in the basement of my house. It's there because it doesn't cost anything extra.

-James

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:17 pm

I must have confused your post with other humidity posters, so I owe you an apology.

So let me get this straight- you live in a house, but you don't own it, right? Wouldn't it make sense to find a house with a better basement, or at least a better landlord?

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:08 pm

kayagum wrote:I must have confused your post with other humidity posters, so I owe you an apology.

So let me get this straight- you live in a house, but you don't own it, right? Wouldn't it make sense to find a house with a better basement, or at least a better landlord?
No apology neccesary! You got it right now. . .

It WOULD make sense if my main concern was that one room. The main concern, however, is the living space, location and price. So i'm just trying to make the best out of the situation until I buy a house a few years down the road. Once I buy a house I can make more permenant decisions.

-James

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:22 am

kentothink wrote:
can you get a big bucket and drain either your dehumidifier or your non-existing-as-yet portable AC unit into that and then just dump it out the back door when the need arises? just an idea....

christ...im quoting myself...

but what about that?
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:53 am

great idea in the studio. . .a big bucket of water. . .

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:31 am

mingus2112 wrote:great idea in the studio. . .a big bucket of water. . .
better than moldy amps and corroding guitars.