um... ok?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

um... ok?

Post by ubertar » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:14 pm

I got a mic on ebay that the seller said needed repair... the output was low, and he thought it was b/c the grilled was dented in and could be touching the diaphragm. It's a small diaphragm condenser (altec 201b, essentially the same as an akg 451).

It came in the mail today... not in a box, but in an envelope. Not even with bubble wrap or foam, just a thin layer of something resembling cardboard pulp on each side of the envelope. The mic was in a vinyl zip-up bag, wrapped with one layer of a white, gauze-like material. Not the way I'd treat a condenser mic, even one that I know needs repair anyway. But get this... I hook it up, and it works. I compared the output to a couple other mics, and it had the hottest signal. Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. So it's hard to be upset-- I got this mic for insanely cheap. Should I just not leave feedback?

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:26 pm

Give it a while. There might be something intermittent going on. If not, rock on. That's awesome!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:28 pm

... and then leave bad feedback. Otherwise the dude will just keep being a slob with the packaging on other auctions. Ebay is a fragile enough concept as it is - that feedback is really key to the success of future bidders/sellers. IMO.

E-money
pushin' record

Post by E-money » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:29 pm

Did he realize that it was a condensor mic, and needed phantom power?
"Politics are like sports, where all the teams suck"

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:48 pm

E-money wrote:Did he realize that it was a condensor mic, and needed phantom power?
yes. actually he seemed pretty knowledgeable. here's the auction.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:50 pm

Tatertot wrote:... and then leave bad feedback. Otherwise the dude will just keep being a slob with the packaging on other auctions. Ebay is a fragile enough concept as it is - that feedback is really key to the success of future bidders/sellers. IMO.
I wrote him an email instead. I just get the impression he's a good guy but pressed for time or something. I haven't left feedback yet-- I'll see how he responds to the email.

;ivlunsdystf
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:52 pm

ubertar wrote: I wrote him an email instead. I just get the impression he's a good guy but pressed for time or something. I haven't left feedback yet-- I'll see how he responds to the email.
That sounds like a good application of the Golden Rule to benefit all concerned parties.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:50 pm

So anyway, I just threw the mic up and improvised something quickly on a nylon stringed acoustic guitar. It was a free guitar, from a rummage sale, made by Airline. The preamp is an ATI m1000, and I tweaked it just a little afterwards-- some light compression and a little boost in the low mids. But not so much of a tweak that you can't hear how the mic sounds.

http://www.ubertar.com/creot/spanishguitar.MP3

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:52 pm

ubertar wrote:
E-money wrote:Did he realize that it was a condensor mic, and needed phantom power?
yes. actually he seemed pretty knowledgeable. here's the auction.
oh man, maybe the mailed the wrong mic (the
"broken one") when they sold one a few weeks ago and the buyer hasn't caught on yet.. that would be funny.. but still, rad win.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:55 pm

trodden wrote:oh man, maybe the mailed the wrong mic (the
"broken one") when they sold one a few weeks ago and the buyer hasn't caught on yet.. that would be funny.. but still, rad win.
Could be... but I don't think so. The grille is dented in some. And I looked through their past auctions for the other one and didn't see it. I don't think they sold it on ebay.

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:35 pm

This is what the "neutral" feedback option is for.

Sounds like a nice mic!

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:46 pm

It's possible he didn't know what the pad was at first. The most extreme setting on it is -30db. Maybe the pad was engaged when he tested it out. That would explain the low output.

Professor

Post by Professor » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:49 pm

Yeah, I couldn't see leaving negative feedback for that. It seems enough to say the truth, "mic worked great & didn't need repair, so helluva deal for me, though I think they could have package better before shipping."
You could call that positive, or neutral, but I'd probably lean towards positive.

-J

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:35 am

he got back to me w/an apology. the post office was out of the priority boxes and he didn't want to make me wait, and since he thought it was broken he wasn't as careful as he should have been, and he won't do it again. he doesn't have phantom power-- so he tested it at someone else's place and he might have been using a bad cable.

i'll leave him positive feedback.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:41 am

Professor wrote:Yeah, I couldn't see leaving negative feedback for that. It seems enough to say the truth, "mic worked great & didn't need repair, so helluva deal for me, though I think they could have package better before shipping."
You could call that positive, or neutral, but I'd probably lean towards positive.

-J
They don't give you as much space as that, but I left positive feedback with this comment:
quick shipping, packing weak--but item in better condition than described