Glass vs. Plexiglass

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

wyattt
gettin' sounds

Glass vs. Plexiglass

Post by wyattt » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:56 pm

Ok so I was wondering if anyone has tried or uses plexiglass for the windows within a studio. Glass for the window size I want is 2x the price of plexi glass (that's using 2 panes).

blunderfonics
pushin' record

Post by blunderfonics » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:33 am

If you require isolation between the rooms then plexiglass is not the way to go. Soundproofing is usually achieved by having heavy/massive walls spaced at a distance. The same basic principals apply to studio windows. Plexiglass is much lighter than glass of the same thickness, so you would require a much thicker sheet in order to achieve the same amount of room-to-room isolation.

Plexiglass also scratches extremely easily to the point where it would eventually be a drag to look through.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:26 am

Actually you might want to use both! Generally when there's a double-glazed window in a studio, the two pieces of glass are different thicknesses so that a frequency that will resonate in one pane won't resonate in the other. So if you're really really on a budget and can't afford thick enough glass, putting in a sheet of glass next to a piece of plexi might be better than two thin sheets of just glass.

But in either case you're going to need something like 1/2" at a minimum to really stop sound.

BenLoftis
audio school

Use plexi between 2 glass panes?

Post by BenLoftis » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:40 am

Here's an idea. Use a thinner piece of glass on both sides of the wall. Use a very thick piece of plexiglass, installed at an angle, in the middle of the wall. Thick plexi is a lot cheaper than glass and by mounting it at an angle you will reduce the coupling between the two parallel glass surfaces. And since it is totally enclosed you won't have a problem with scratches.

Just a thought .. tell us how it goes!

-Ben Loftis
http://www.studiooutfitters.com

mus1k_freak
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mus1k_freak » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:38 pm

i just did double pane glass in my studio and glass was WAY cheaper then plexi glass....
doctors practice, musicians perform

BenLoftis
audio school

Plexi vs Glass

Post by BenLoftis » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:46 am

Looking at www.professionalplastics.com, a 12" x 24" piece of 3/4" plexi is about $35. I'm not sure what thickness of glass would have an equivalent STC. Does anybody know how they compare?

How thick was the glass you used? The original poster says plexi is cheaper in his location...

-Ben Loftis
http://www.studiooutfitters.com

blunderfonics
pushin' record

Post by blunderfonics » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:08 pm

I had a hard time finding any hard data regarding the weight/density of plexiglass but Wikipedia and a few plexiglass manufacturer's websites claim that it is 50% the weight of glass. So in theory, a pane of plexi would need to be 2X the thickness to achieve the same amount of ixolation as glass.