pete townshend's "scoop"

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

stoneman
alignin' 24-trk

pete townshend's "scoop"

Post by stoneman » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:32 am

the who's "who's next" album was my first purchase of music when i was about 9. so i have always been a fan despite pt's eccentric remarks over the years.... i don't think he has been interviewed or discussed in the mag yet, though i saw his letter in an issue awhile back.

his album "scoop" -- the 1983 release of his home recordings -- has all the spirit of tapeop-ness. the liner notes describe his recording setup and reasons for writing the particular song/arrangments etc. the collection also has all the innocence of someone just recording for the joy of it and not trying to impress a record exec. there is something pure about the sound of these demo's.

keep up the great work!

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:01 pm

probably wouldn't be a Tape Op if not for that album.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:29 am

TapeOpLarry wrote:probably wouldn't be a Tape Op if not for that album.
That's a big claim right there! I've been a fan of Pete Twonshend ever since I could remember. Scoop is in my top 10 at the very least.

As arrogant as he can come off sometimes, he's always had that home brew, do-it-yourself attitude about him. If you look at his home studio today, it's still got 90% of the same gear that it had 30 years ago.

-James

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:00 pm

There's a great mid-70's picture of his control room area in the big Lifehouse box set that came out just a couple-three-four years ago. What I most like about it is that you can see *two* soldering irons in that one shot, right out in front like he'd been taking a break from rewiring when the photo was taken.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:50 pm

Pete is, and has always been, the man in my book.
Another album from about that time that I really like for it's complete home-brew-ness is McCartney II. Sometimes it's so bad it's good (i.e., Temporary Secretary). I'd rather Sir Paul make albums like this these days than most of what he actually is putting out. Much more interesting back then.

Roman Sokal
buyin' gear

Post by Roman Sokal » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:32 am

i've always loved his home recordings and notes!
the other day i played the old ryko reissue disc of one of his first (if not the first) solo albums 'who came first'. its got a great home recording/demo of Let's See Action, in which of course pete t. plays all instruments.
Roman Sokal

WindowSills
audio school graduate

Post by WindowSills » Wed May 10, 2006 9:33 am

Last year I picked up Pete's Lifehouse boxset on Ebay. 6 discs, two of which contain all of Pete's original demos of songs that were written for the various incarnations of Lifehouse (not just the original try which became Who's Next). Awesome stuff.

Jon Astley is (or has) remastering Pete's entire catalog, including all 3 Scoops - don't know when they're coming out though. June will see the release of a new Who EP called "Wire & Glass" with the full new album in September. Then maybe he'll get around to a deluxe edition of Quadrophenia!

Here's a link to Pete taking a tour of his in-disarray studio as he was preparing for Scoop 3:
http://www.petetownshend.co.uk/diary/di ... zone=diary
It's in 2 sizes of QuickTime, or as a RealMedia stream.
"If he knew the part, he'd play it."
http://www.davesills.com

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Mon May 29, 2006 8:07 pm

mjau wrote:Pete is, and has always been, the man in my book.
Another album from about that time that I really like for it's complete home-brew-ness is McCartney II. Sometimes it's so bad it's good (i.e., Temporary Secretary). I'd rather Sir Paul make albums like this these days than most of what he actually is putting out. Much more interesting back then.
have you heard his last record? It aint to bad and he plays most of it himself and he lists all the gear thats used on each individual song...he's done far worse. If you haven't heard it give it a chance..it's alot like the earlier records, not to bash pete..I'm a huge WHO fan...but what has he done lately except repackage himself 1000 different ways..

hauser gabone
gettin' sounds

Post by hauser gabone » Mon May 29, 2006 8:58 pm

i should check this 'scoop' out...i always dismissed the who because of what i saw/heard on tv but once i heard "a quick one" and "sell out" i was hooked....pete owes quite a bit to mr. ray davies though, but wel all do!
i'm sitting here in a moustache cause it needs to recharge