What Did You Work On Today 4-12-06

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cgarges
zen recordist

What Did You Work On Today 4-12-06

Post by cgarges » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:39 pm

Sorry I've been slack in posting one of these lately. Who's got something cool or some good story or something?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

SaneMan
takin' a dinner break

Post by SaneMan » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:46 pm

Shit, where I live it's still only 4/11, but as for tommorrow, it'll be the same as today. Assisting for a metal band, which is an awesome change from all the hip hop I've been stuck with lately. Probably finish tracking drums and start on bass. Ahhhh, it's so good to work with <i>real</i> drums, and musicians for that matter
Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. - Carl Jung

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:55 pm

tax return all night tonight.

last night was way more fun. fixed a bad connection on my snake, got connections from patchbay to tape machine all kosher, determined crap reel of tape was crap and cleaned heads and stuff. then watched eddie murphy "raw" and went to bed.

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:17 pm

my band practiced earlier and I went through the recording I made of it and am kicking myself in the tucus for not recording with the 14 mics instead of being lazy and putting up the 1 omni. We laid down the basics for 3 new songs. I wish i could hear what I did.

Oh well.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

doc
pushin' record

Post by doc » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:40 pm

I'm starting the mixing for a really cool band I just recorded. I saw them live about 6 months ago and they were terrible. When they contacted me I wasn't really excited, but holy crap did they get better in a hurry before recording. They added a live drummer, and bass player to the laptop, guitar player, and vocalist I saw at the show.

They listened to my input during tracking as well as me listening to them and it was a really fun session. I knew it would go pretty smooth after the drummer called me the day before the session for advice on new heads and said he'd make sure the guitar player and bass player would change their strings before the session. Believe it or not, I'd never had a band do that.

So, I wasn't too sure about the guitar players tone. It was really bright and chimey. A strat played through a litle Laney tube combo 1x12". I told him I wasn't sure it was such a great idea considering he was the only guitar player, but I got the impression he really liked it that way and figured we'd role with it for a while. Well, now that it's time to mix, I'm really stoked on the guitar sound. The drums came out beautifully with the help of my new Royer SF12 overhead mic. That mic is AMAZING! The bass tone is just what we were going for. The prerecorded laptop parts sit perfectly above the bass and below the guitar without getting in the way of the vocal. The guitar is sitting exactly where it should and if I'd pushed for a different guitar sound I'd probably be fighting with it in the mix.

Long story short, I'm really learning to listen to the musicians I work with.

-doc
Last edited by doc on Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:43 pm

doc wrote: The drums came out beautifully with the help of my new Royer SF12 overhead mic. That mic is AMAZING!
Agreed! My band did a live show on the local college TV station, the drums were mic'd with a D112 on the kick and the SF12 as an OH, and that's all. Just got the DVD's the other day and, while the mix has some problems, the drum sound is awesome! I was skeptical about the setup, but I have to admit it sounded great.

Today, I worked with a singer/songwriter on a pop project. We're doing one tune where she sings with a 6-piece acapella group, no instruments, just voices. The acapella group is booked for a session later this month. She (and her "producer") wanted to do her lead vocal tracks today and overdub the acapella stuff later. Seemed like an ass-backward way to work to me, but whatever. So we spent several hours trying to get the tune, but there just wasn't any energy. Convinced her to do the tune LIVE, IN REAL TIME, with the group, what a novel concept.

Does anybody else feel like they are working with people who are afraid of committing to a performance? It seems like everyone I'm working with lately is being so cautious, tracking everything seperately, comping takes, doing tons of edits, etc. I shouldn't complain because I get paid by the hour, but man, it just feels like people are afraid of being musicians anymore.

Sorry, just a little pre-bedtime rant.

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:33 am

Day #17: working on a record for a local band with another 12 days to go. Really cool stuff but it's a ton of work. Lots of long days. I haven't gotten home before 3 am in two weeks (I saw 6 am once too. Ouch) It's sounding great though. A cool mixture of 70's rock and 80's synth pop (think Jet meets The Cars and The Rentals) with a girl/guy lead vocal thing. And they're South African and their accents are pretty thick. Very interesting. Cut all the drums to 2" tape = super fat.

Got to use my friend's 1961 Blonde Vox Head on most of the guitars. Fawk! It sounds amazing. Best amp I've ever heard. Hands down.

Lots of new toys to play with too. Got some new mics, a guitar, some pedals.

Next week: Mixing on a Neve 8048 to 1/2" inch. Should be fun.

I need some sleep.......

Also, going to the mastering studio to finish 3 songs I recorded & mixed for another local band. Hopefully it sounds good.

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:23 am

Worked on cleaning out the studio. I've got a new desk coming today and i'm almost ready for it!

-James

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:27 am

doc wrote:Long story short, I'm really learning to listen to the musicians I work {with}.
This quote and the accompanying story should be a requisite part of any thread of the "what to do when the bass player starts playing chords" variety.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:44 am

Soldered a loose connection in my Altec 1589b, then tracked some guitar ideas for a long-distance project I'm working on with a friend. Listened to Ziggy Stardust...A LOT. Wow.

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:46 am

I assisted one of my students tracking his first 2" project last night. The band came from the college. It was tracked through our Euphonix to a Sony APR 24 with SR at 15ips +6 499. This was the first of 4 tracking/overdub sessions on the project. We did a backup of Pro Tools at 192kHz.

The best part of the session was watching the students eyes open up when listening to playback of the analog tape. Kind of like a light bulb went off in his head. He is the first student in a few years to ask to do a complete analog project. None of them want to buy the tape.

Before the session I mixed an organ concert in 5.1 and stereo for a client. It was recorded to 12 tracks of DSD on Genex 8 track recorders. Recorded the room with 5 DPA 4003's, the organ was miced with 3 Neumann M150's, and 4 Schoeps spot mics through the cathedral. Mixed through the Euphonix CS2000 to PT at 96k. Sounds pretty amazing. Only needed minimal amount of eq. The 5.1 Mix sounds like you are sitting in the hall.

MIke

ChrisCo
pushin' record

Post by ChrisCo » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:04 am

I was supposed to just put some basslines to a friend's music. I told him I could organize for a demo to be recorded, since I have gear to track (not a lot, but I know a few guys that I can borrow stuff from). We've sat with my ex-drummer and he's familiarizing himself with the scratch takes that my friend put down. The exciting part is that we do drums next week, and if I can get in contact with this other friend of mine, I'll be able to run 24 mics (if my computer can handle it). While it's not the gnarliest mic locker I can think of, I'll be working with the best mics that I've ever worked with thus far. If this guy's household is cool with it, he's got the best tracking room that I'll have ever worked with...

I'm just excited to actually be ON a project. This is fun!

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:25 pm

Finally got the API back up in running in the new mixing suite. Mixing in here now. :P

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:43 pm

Well, I've come down with a nickel allergy, so I'm switching to steel strings. That's my big project. Fender? Markley? Ernie Ball? I even considered Rogue, but I can only find them in single string twelve packs.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:27 pm

I fired a muzzleloader for the first time today.

thats a whole new perspective.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.