What Did You Work On Today 4-12-06

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:23 pm

Poured a slab for the new digs....

Ran out of concrete right where the B3 is gonna sit..... :?

"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:44 pm

soundguy wrote:I fired a muzzleloader for the first time today.

thats a whole new perspective.

dave
Totally! Whole new insight on the craftmanship and attention to details needed in order to kill things and how history went with it...

yeah i'm stoned again today.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:26 pm

I did some work on a dance sound design for a show that goes up in May.

Also put all 4 hours' of footage from last month's film shoot in order for the director and created a footage log. That took most of the evening.

Found out the laptop that I loaned the theatre has started to crap out--during shows. I have no idea what the fuck I'm gonna do.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:23 am

Tested a Shure SM7a that showed up today. Put the final tweaks on a portable recording setup for a gig in Brooklyn Friday night...

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:59 pm

I'm swapping a ton of equipment, mostly consolidating guitars.

I ordered this baritone acoustic: http://www.acousticmasters.com/Acoustic ... Avante.htm

I also ended up with the new Electro Harmonix 2880 looper. Holy crap- what did I just get myself into?

BTW the EH HOG (Harmonic Octave Generator) is also mindblowing: check out the sound clips here: HOG Check out the Gerry Leonard files on the bottom of the page.

Anybody want Aphex gear? PM me.

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:06 pm

Listened to 40 rough tunes multiple times while getting some preproduction ideas together for an upcoming project.
I recently received the bands last CD I recorded, it was mastered by John Golden, I?m stoked! Give it a listen>>www.stuporheromusic.com
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:56 pm

On the 12th, I did nothing audio related. Spent most of the day being sick and setting up my new laptop for a web project I had to start. I've been itching to use the Hamptone JFET I got from thearnicasync a few weeks ago, but it's been so busy here with work and vacation that it's sat here unused. Poor sad, neglected JFET! Maybe this weekend...

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:22 pm

tonewoods wrote:Poured a slab for the new digs....

Ran out of concrete right where the B3 is gonna sit..... :?

woah! I've dreamed of building a studio out in the woods on Orcas Island.. awesome! I figure i got about 3-4 years of city life in Seattle until i flee for the San Juans or Gulf Islands. Could you keep us updated with this over at "the making a space" area? I'm stoked for you!

lharless
takin' a dinner break

Post by lharless » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:29 pm

http://www.myspace.com/afriendlytakeover

finished these mixes. theyre off to mastering.

whatdya think? local band wanted an ep. i did them live with very little overdub.

BrianK
takin' a dinner break

Post by BrianK » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:18 am

Mixed outtakes for upcoming UK reissue CDs.

Music by Judee Sill (on of the greatest writers ever), and David Ackles. Both dead now, both very talented. It's great to hear such good music, no matter what the circumstances.
Relax and float downstream...

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:18 pm

On the 12th I spent the day sending a guy to jail for hitting his es-girlfirend. After jury duty and picking up my car from having a little work done to the convirtible top I went to the studio. We cut basics and vocals for one song while using the RADAR V at 192K. Overdubs and BVs were done on Thursday and I'm mixing that song Monday.

lharless
takin' a dinner break

Post by lharless » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:54 pm

sorry tony. that sounded like a pretty bad day, being in court. hopr you have a better week, this week!

heres to a better week!

ChrisCo
pushin' record

Post by ChrisCo » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:49 am

I've been workin' with this kinda stoic guy on some songs he had written. I play bass, and the was the original purpose of him wanting to ask me to play on his project. After some progress, he's pretty content with how the process worked out. Then today, I sent him some Mp3s of the last rehearsal (2nd of 2). And he's extatic now, and called me really excited... somewhat strange to hear such exhilaration in another man's voice. Anyhow, I'm pleased he's pleased. Just thought I'd share.

Chris

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:56 am

trodden wrote: woah! I've dreamed of building a studio out in the woods on Orcas Island.. awesome! I figure i got about 3-4 years of city life in Seattle until i flee for the San Juans or Gulf Islands. Could you keep us updated with this over at "the making a space" area? I'm stoked for you!
Hey, thanks for that...
I bought a brand new 37' x 26' pre-fab metal building (for $4K!), and plan on spraying the hell out of it with insulation...

Should go up here any minute now...

It'll be an interesting space for sure.....
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

carlsaff
takin' a dinner break

Post by carlsaff » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:13 pm

Mailed off masters for a three-piece art-punk band in Michigan and a bluegrass band here in town.

Getting ready to ship a really cool compilation by a musical collective in Seattle.

Starting in on a raw, sex-punk record by a St. Louis band.

A few other things here and there...
Carl Saff Mastering
http://www.saffmastering.com