getting a foot in the door

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Post by Wilkesin » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:00 pm

How do you get that first job, though? I've been in Nashville for a year now and have only set foot in one studio (someone's "home" studio). It seems like everyone I end up in touch with just has their little setup at home and are nice to talk to or share tips and tricks with, but they dont need an intern/assistant/someone on the payroll.

I do some home recording when i have time and went to school for recording, but the savings ran out fast when i moved here and i eventually fell into Gibson's slave labor camp to stave off hunger...

Does walking into the offices on music row and dropping off your resume really work? Is this totally a "who you know" business as I had always feared?

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:51 pm

Wow, thanks again for all of the awesome responses. I kind of lost track of this thread over the weekend while myself and my family were in the throes of the stomach flu. Lots of great information. Mostly, it sounds like common sense and tact are the best tools a budding engineer could hope to have. Great to know!

-Bret

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

Post by snuffinthepunk » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:08 pm

Wilkesin wrote:How do you get that first job, though? I've been in Nashville for a year now and have only set foot in one studio (someone's "home" studio). It seems like everyone I end up in touch with just has their little setup at home and are nice to talk to or share tips and tricks with, but they dont need an intern/assistant/someone on the payroll.

I do some home recording when i have time and went to school for recording, but the savings ran out fast when i moved here and i eventually fell into Gibson's slave labor camp to stave off hunger...

Does walking into the offices on music row and dropping off your resume really work? Is this totally a "who you know" business as I had always feared?
Well, it definitely helps to know people. My cousin is a bartender at layla ru's (however you spell it) so, she knows EVERYONE...so she hooked me up with a guy. I haven't talked to him in like 2 weeks maybe, but last time we talked he said that they had just interviewed someone for a position at the studio he works at, BUT...he knew who was lookin around for a lil help.

Being the gent I am, I'll clue you in. Quad Studios, Blackbird Studios, and Dark Horse all told me that they're going to be picking people up very soon, and they're interviewing right now. You may be competition, but, since you've been tryin for so long I got no problem fillin you in =) Go to the studios websites and find out who the managers are and call them. Be professional and tell them you're interested in being a part of the team or whatever. Ask if you can send a resume. You can actually send your resume to blackbird via their website. They called me today askin if I wanted to come in. Of course, I won't be there for another week or so, but, they told me to call when I get there.

I hope that helps man. Have a nice resume ready and be professional and friendly. And HUMBLE! You gotta act like you KNOW that you're going to be makin coffee and scrubbing toilets for a while before they'll let you touch their gear. After you wash your hands, of course.

J
"no dream is worth being underachieved"
I love signal flow.

Imagine the possibilities!

www.primalgear.com