latest issue- gcpro ad

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:12 pm

mjau wrote:I happen to be using literary license, thank you very much. One may break the rules only when one has first mastered them, young jedi.
Sure thing, ee cummings!

CG :wink:

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:28 pm

cgarges wrote:
mjau wrote:And when we look back at the burning ruins of that which we once called civilization, we'll try and find that moment when we lost our way.
I find it ironic that you're starting a sentence with "And."

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Dickens, Huxley and Orwell have all started sentences with "And." I think that's one of those "rules" that people who want to turn English into French or Latin have tried to make true, but still hasn't stuck (thank god, or else I'd be officially illiterate.)
not to worry, just keep tracking....

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:39 pm

Randy wrote:
cgarges wrote:
mjau wrote:And when we look back at the burning ruins of that which we once called civilization, we'll try and find that moment when we lost our way.
I find it ironic that you're starting a sentence with "And."

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Dickens, Huxley and Orwell have all started sentences with "And." I think that's one of those "rules" that people who want to turn English into French or Latin have tried to make true, but still hasn't stuck (thank god, or else I'd be officially illiterate.)
My first name begins with "And" (it is Andy), although I am not officially illiterate.

I much prefer the ambiguity of our American English over, say, the rigidity of the Usage-Panel-regulated French. And sometimes it just feels good to flout the rules!

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Wed May 10, 2006 8:10 am

mjau wrote:My two spaces were reduced to one, also. In my best young Chuck Heston voice: "Damn you, TOMB-bots! Damn you straight to hell!"
Thw two-space rule was a holdover from typesetting and typewriters. Due to the irregular kern of certain fonts, typesetters adopted a practice of alaways adding an extra space after a period so the next sentence wouldn't appear to start too close to the end of the last!!!!!!!! This practice was also absorbed by typists for the same reason!!!!!!!! But then word precessing came along and totally defamated both typesetting and typing because all fonts are justified in word processing!!!!!!!!!!
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed May 10, 2006 8:16 am

liquid mob wrote:defamated
Oh hellz yes.

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Wed May 10, 2006 8:21 am

mjau wrote:
Oh hellz yes.
:lol:
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Wed May 10, 2006 9:33 am

If you're not going to double space then you shouldn't be allowed to advance in society or own land. Is anybody with me? C'mon!

(I just spent three minutes re-reading this so no one would make fun of me on this thread.)
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Wed May 10, 2006 10:07 am

AstroDan wrote:If you're not going to double space then you shouldn't be allowed to advance in society or own land. Is anybody with me? C'mon!

(I just spent three minutes re-reading this so no one would make fun of me on this thread.)
Typical Republican response! Go ahead, just waste, waste, waste. Where do you think all those extra bits come from, huh? Do you think there's an unlimited supply? Let me guess, you want to look for more bits in ANWR, don't you? Or off the California coast! Worse yet, your wasteful suggestion only increases our dependence on foriegn bits.

No blood for bits! No blood for bits! Say it with me, people... No blood for bits!

No justice, no bits! No justice, no bits!
-Hunter S. Thompson

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Wed May 10, 2006 12:34 pm

Great. Once Sting gets wind of this, he's going to hold a private benefit.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Wed May 10, 2006 1:53 pm

AstroDan wrote:Great. Once Sting gets wind of this, he's going to hold a private benefit.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
-Hunter S. Thompson

madtho
steve albini likes it

Post by madtho » Wed May 10, 2006 8:23 pm

mjau wrote:
Oh hellz yes.
hey- lay off, liquid mob's obviously using the olde english style s. :wink:

-and the whole typewriter double space thing is correct; monospaced fonts (i is the same width as m, so one space isn't too obvious).
Typesetting in the hand set lead era had lead, brass and copper spaces of varying widths to make the correct visual space between sentences. Keyboarded typesetting machines (Linotype) had their own space setting schemes, but had em, en and thin spaces available.
oooh fun readin'!

My name is Mat and I'm a typesetter...

-mad
We wanted to play traditional jazz in the worst way...and we did!
-Dave Van Ronk