odd shaped room - help with layout

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

death by chandelier
alignin' 24-trk

odd shaped room - help with layout

Post by death by chandelier » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:03 pm

Howdy.

I moved into a new house and am using a spare bedroom for my little "studio". I write a record my own stuff. I record vocals, guitar/amp and bass in this room. I do drums elsewhere. Right now my desk (2'x4' - iMac & monitors) sits on wall "A" in between the window and wall "B". I'm wondering if some of you might suggest a better location and possibly some treatment options. I'm looking for a decent set-up for mixing.

Thank you.

Last edited by death by chandelier on Wed May 03, 2006 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:31 pm

Nice space.

I'd probably just angle the desk in the corner of walls A and B so it is pointing toward the farthest opposite corner. I also might put some blankets up in the little area leading to the attic- good bass trap and isolation booth. You might find that you need to add some dampening on walls here and there. One way to figure that out is to walk around the room clapping. If you hear anything you don't like, look at where the bad sound came from and hang a blanket.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

Ethan Winer
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: odd shaped room - help with layout

Post by Ethan Winer » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:53 am

> Right now my desk ... sits on wall "A" <

That's the best place, and you should also be centered left/right in that area. If you want to get fancy, also setup so your ears are 5.8 feet back from the A wall. Then follow Randy's advice and get as much bass trapping as you can manage. Add absorption at the first reflection points on the side walls and ceiling, and you'll be in good shape. Or at least as good as possible in this particular room.

--Ethan

death by chandelier
alignin' 24-trk

Post by death by chandelier » Wed May 03, 2006 8:22 pm

Hey Ethan (or whoever).

I moved the desk and got "fancy" and placed it where my ears are about 5.8 feet back. With the desk centered, the stereo imaging is much improved.

I have in my possession 12 sheets of 2'x4' OC 703 - 2" thick. I am going to build traps/absorbers based on these plans http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4581. I was planning on building 4 bass traps (4" thick) and placing them where the red X is located on the image below. The red lines are where I plan on placing the 2"x4" absorbers.

Questions:

1. Is this bad placement? Are there better ways to use/position the 703?

2. I have not really addressed the little area in the back/right of the layout - is this going to be a problem?

3. The J-A corner bass trap - there is a window there which will either be partially covered by the trap or the trap with have to hang at an odd angle. Do I need a trap here for uniformity?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.
Andy

Ethan Winer
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Ethan Winer » Thu May 04, 2006 11:51 am

Andy,

> Is this bad placement? <

Not too bad, but I have a few comments:

For the corners you should double up the panels to be four inches thick. Likewise for the wall behind you. You mentioned 12 panels, and that's about half what you need for a room like this.

The smaller corner halfway down the left side is less important that the "major" corner at the bottom left. If you can't straddle that corner because of the door, at least put four inches of rigid fiberglass flat on the rear wall near where the door opens into.

You also need to treat the first reflection points on the side walls and ceiling near the mix position. Two inches thick is fine for that.

> I have not really addressed the little area in the back/right of the layout - is this going to be a problem? <

Probably not.

> The J-A corner bass trap ... Do I need a trap here for uniformity? <

Not for uniformity so much as increasing total surface coverage. With bass trapping, the more you have the flatter and tighter the low end will be. Always.

--Ethan