My tracking room sort of sucks

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

AstroDan
george martin

My tracking room sort of sucks

Post by AstroDan » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:08 pm

I'm rocking out in a barn/shed. It's actually a small, old oak barn, but was turned into living quarters complete with sheetrock, wood paneling, and a second floor. I took out half of the second story floor, which left me with a 15' high ceiling and 18' x 15' wide room to track in. I have a bedroom size room to moniter from.

The 15' high tracking room has a barn roof shaped ceiling (angled eaves) with sheetrock, and the lower walls have the wood paneling. The floor is cement and left bare.

The room sounds like it has a head cold. It's not a massive room, but I would figure the decent height of the ceiling combined with the bright, hard floor would produce results better than what I'm getting. Is it the angled ceiling? The sheetrock? The wood paneling? I feel this room may have a little potential, but it ain't there yet.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

surf's up
pushin' record

Post by surf's up » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:27 pm

Maybe you need to add some absorption. If the floor is bare concrete, and with the size of the room Im guessing you are getting some pretty gnarly reflections, which could be what youre going for of course, but if left untreated probably yields a pretty uneven frequency response.

Im no expert but you could probably add some bass trapping and broadband absorption and still have a big, live sounding tracking room.

You also might consider bass trapping (or maybe a diffusor?) in the angle of the ceiling since frequencies tend to bunch up in concave type areas, and especially low frequencies in corners.

myfipie
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by myfipie » Mon May 01, 2006 4:56 am

I would hang some 2 inch rigid fiberglass panels in the upper angel of the ceiling. Also I would add as many 4" bass traps as you could. Staddling as many corners as possible.
For the side walls it is more of a taste thing. The less you put in the more bright the room is. This could be a good thing if you are going for that sound. I myself try to get as much of the room sound out of the mix (unless it is a BIG room).

Glenn
GIK Acoustics
www.gikacoustics.com

judecca
takin' a dinner break

Re: My tracking room sort of sucks

Post by judecca » Tue May 02, 2006 3:36 am

AstroDan wrote: The room sounds like it has a head cold. It's not a massive room, but I would figure the decent height of the ceiling combined with the bright, hard floor would produce results better than what I'm getting. Is it the angled ceiling? The sheetrock? The wood paneling? I feel this room may have a little potential, but it ain't there yet.
you should read this...... it helped out a-plenty in designing our room:

http://www.acoustics101.com/

ryan
"what burns metal, burns hands"

Tonelab Studios
Advanced Audio & Lighting Systems
ryan@tonelabstudios.com
www.tonelabstudios.com

lsn110
steve albini likes it

Post by lsn110 » Tue May 02, 2006 4:21 am

Also, there's a lot of really good info (and tools) here:
http://www.realtraps.com/info.htm

Ethan, who runs that site, shows up here from time to time and offers sage advice.

Another good resource is:
http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php

Sounds like a nice workspace...and you should be able to tame it.

Good luck

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Tue May 02, 2006 9:20 am

One problem is that two of your wall dimensions are equal, which means those standing waves will reinforce one another.

Listen to Glenn's advice above. Add some absorption on the ceiling, and get bass traps in the corners. That alone will hugely improve the sound of the room.

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Tue May 02, 2006 4:35 pm

These are great links, thanks.

I do need bass traps. I need to figure out some way to economize space when installing them. With drums, amps and musicians all in one room even an additional mic stand takes up space.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."